Moderation in Moderation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Coleallensmom

Planted Tank Enthusiast
First, let me say that I am glad this forum has some great moderators who look out for the well being of it's members. I am glad they are here to weed out the spammers and trolls, and to give help to new members when they need it. I see a lot of posts being moved on a daily basis and I understand that is to help posters get more exposure in the correct forum; in fact I often encourage new members to make sure they post threads in the correct place. However, what I don't understand is the need to moderate posts further i.e. changing people's thread titles, especially when it's a not a new member to the forum. There is a difference between being helpful and being intrusive IMO. I don't want to be controversial, I just want to give some food for thought...no one likes to get their toes stepped on, even if it is well meaning.

I'd urge you to contact the mod that made the change if you feel a change was made that was unwarranted. It's not that common that the staff will change a thread title. Usually when we do it's because the title used by the OP wasn't very descriptive. A title like "HELP" doesn't really explain to users browsing what the thread is about, so we'll sometimes make it more descriptive.

I don't know the details you're specifically referring to, so again I'd urge to you to contact the mod, or myself if you prefer, via PM and discuss what happened.

Thank you for the reply.

I have no idea how to tell who made the change; I'm not particularly interested in knowing either. Just felt it was a bit strange (for lack of better word) considering it wasn't a help thread or any sort of thread asking for advice, but rather a story. Overall I really do think the mods here are excellent!

I also want to thank you for your feedback. I dont think it was me because I do mostly Sw post but as mentioned by Neilan it is sometimes necessary because the title being undescriptive or the title not matching the subject of the thread. We have various different search engines that are on the site here to gather info on our threads. You can google a topic and most likely yours or my thread will be on there provided that the title is appropriate with the thread. That is one of the reasons that we change titles like "Help" or "I`ve got a problem". It`s not descriptve enough. I also encourage you to PM me, Neilan or any other mod if you dont agree with the title.

I'm sorry you felt that your toes were stepped on. One of the very important roles that the site team performs is keeping information easily accessible. This means that they regularly move discussions and edit thread titles.

Our search engine needs accurate thread titles to find content. Since many members, especially new ones come to the forum to find solutions to issues, and use the search tool, it's important that titles be accurate.

Thanks for understanding :)

Better keep an eye on me. :) :) that's something I do a lot - even if a lot is 3-5 times in the last couple of weeks. Never thought about the search engine. That's a good reason too. I've changed a handfull maybe, pm'd the OP. Seemed to get a lot more activity and help, and the OP never responded to me,

"help" and "oh my!!" and the like are favorite targets of mine. Let one of us know even if next time you think a change doesn't look right if you don't wanna pm the one who changed it. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom