Modifying an Eclipse system 3 hood?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jermz79

Aquarium Advice Addict
I got this wild hair up my ... Sleeve! and was looking at my Eclipse 3 hood this weekend!

Here is what I have already done. If your familiar with the hood itself then you will know there are two flaps, one for the lights (in front) and one that covers the mid portion of the tank, the pump and the Bio-wheel (in back)!

Well on the back panel in the middle section there are 2.5 X 5.25 rectangle areas. I ordered a set of moonlights from The Lebos and upon emailing them learned theat they can not get wet!!!

So I drilled a .25 inch hole in the lid in the center of one of the above mentioned squares, put the moonlight LED in place and siliconed around the edge to hold it in place ... then I took some clear Lexan from the local HD and cut it to fit inside the rectangle areas! I then siliconed the lexan in and let it dry for 24 hours prior to putting it back on the tank!

The finished product looks almost stock and I now have moonlights on my tank! I will try to take some pics tonight!

My next project is to completely remove the NO lights and replace them with a set of PC's ... My fiancee and mother-in-law are buying me some for my B-day!!!!!
The problem I'm running into here is once I remove the NO lights from the hood itself I'am left with no ledge of any type to set the PC's on (using the legs they come with)? What I plan on doing is either using a Dremel to groove out a little bit of the hood so I can then rest my PC's on the tank ledge or building a ledge off of the Eclipse Hood!

Some will probably say why even keep the Eclipse hood? I like it ... I have a 29 gallon tank and feel that the filtration system is Basically the 43lbs of LR I have, 2 900 PH's and the pump from the Eclipse hood ... I don't feel that with such a small tank a huge wet/dry system is needed as long as you keep up with maintenance! And the biggest factor is it's QUIET!

If anyone has any good ideas on building my ledge let me know?

Thanks,
Jermz

Back
Top Bottom