Moldy rocks (with no live rock)?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mike0179

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Sadly, I do not yet have a digi camera. Hopefully with my fat tax return I will be able to afford one soon. In the mean time I have a substance growing on one of my rocks that needs identification so I will do my best to paint the picture for you. My apologies for no pic in advance :(

First off, I have no live rock in my tank yet. I only have a true yellow-tail and a small piece of shrimp. My tank is in the middle of the initial cycling phase and my ammonia is just under 1ppm (ouch) with trace nitrite.

On one of my calcium rocks has bright green substance starting to form. The best way to describe it is to say that its "moldy" It looks almost like mold only its not fuzzy at all. It almost looks like somebody took one rock out, dabbed it with a green paint in a few places, then stuck it back in my tank. It started out as one spot about 3 days ago and since then has spread over the top of the rock in about 10 finger-nail sized patches. there are 2 other smaller patches that have grown under the rock too, but haven’t spread as well as the ones on top. maybe its a photosynthetic substance?

My lighting isn’t great at all. Its only cheep florescent lighting as I only have fish at the moment.

Any help would be appreciated. As soon as I can, I will post pictures. Thanks!

Honestly (I'm very new to this) I have no idea. :oops: Ive done google and yahoo searches (text and images) and am yet to find anything that looks like this. A search for "common algae" returned no matching results either.

What separates this from other algae that I have seen is that this is completely flat against the rock. Most algae’s have hairs, or extremities that grow from their base, or just look "fuzzy". This is completely flat against the rock with no extremities or hair or even fuzz. Could this just be the very early stages of some form of green algae that hasn't "sprouted" hairs or fuzz? It is fairly new, maybe only 4 or 5 days old now.

I managed to borrow a camera! Here is the culprit

Attachments

• rock_192.jpg
    rock_192.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 81
  • rock_186.jpg
    rock_186.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 104

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom