Mollie babies!!! :-o

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was just kidding around with that suggestion, but to be honest, all you can do is try to get rid of them to local fish stores, or sell them to other people or give them away. Besides that all you can do is feed them to other fish.

On Tuesday our platy gave birth in a breeding box and she had 35+ baby fry. It's been 4 days now and there are only about 5 left. Your fish will give birth, don't worry about that. Six months ago we got the fish and she's had babies every month since. We did the breeder box just for fun to see it happen and am so glad we did. My 10 year old got to witness the event so I am happy about that. We have gone from 2 to 11 platys in 6 months. Be patient because in a few months, you're going to have more than you hoped for.

thanks Ken. beleive me i know they will over run my tank if i let them my mollie has 60+ babies every time.

hey nancella, I just got rid of 50 of my fry today. they gave me a quarter a peice and a few free fish for them. at a local pat shop. the best thing to do is call around and see what stores will give you. They might give you more than .25 a peice if you ask for store credit instead of cash though. But otherwise i think a quarter a peice is the best your gonna get.

Well off to bed. good night everyone.

hey nancella, I just got rid of 50 of my fry today. they gave me a quarter a peice and a few free fish for them. at a local pat shop. the best thing to do is call around and see what stores will give you. They might give you more than .25 a peice if you ask for store credit instead of cash though. But otherwise i think a quarter a peice is the best your gonna get.

thanks, mike. I will try that for for the New Year's babies. I've had some luck giving the 5 week old fries away to good homes off of craigslist. But, if I can get some store credit next time, that sure would help!

Last edited:
Thanks for the post on my thread, wanted to stop in and congratulate you on your new years babies and profitable return.:)

your welcome. If you think about it at a quarter a peice you can just use that money whenever you need fish supplies and aslong as your females continue having them they will buy there own livivng.

if everything in my tank just paid for itself, i would have so much more money to spend on more aquarium stuff....:D

if everything in my tank just paid for itself, i would have so much more money to spend on more aquarium stuff....:D
Go get some shrimp from bs6749 they will keep your tank cleaner and will breed like crazy and they sell great. I would advice rcs but ask him he knows more than me on the subject.

Hey Mike... I gave like 30 Mollies away in the last 25 hours... and I got 4 pretty male guppies in return. I have a feeling I'll be meeting lots of local aquarium enthusiasts now that I have some breeders in my tank. One of them suggested I get some Ghost Shrimp? What do you think?
Suggestions?

[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]"Sunshine is delicious, rain is refreshing, wind braces us up, snow is exhilarating; [/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]there is really no such thing as bad weather, only different kinds of good weather." [/FONT][FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif](John Ruskin)

[/FONT]

You should get ghost shrimp rather then rcs or other shrimp like that.

Ghost shrimp are great for eating left over food and such, plus they are cheap. Rcs and other dwarf shrimp are more expensive, plus they are mostly algae eaters, plus they do breed like crazy but won't get good money for them from lfs, then you would have to get into shipping them out and such.

If I were you, I would stick with ghost shrimp, easy and cheap to get, plus it would be better for you anyways for your position.

Also with your setup, the fish you have in the tank will most likely get the shrimp as a snack, well all fish think of shrimp as snacks. If a ghost shirmp or so gets eaten, it's not that bad to replace since some LFS sell ghost shrimp cheap (mine sells them for
5/$1.) If you get some RCS, all the babies will be eaten from your fish, plus the bigger shrimp themselves will prob. too. Paying $1.25 per RCS to just feed to your fish is kind of pricey.

Hrmmm. so... do you have any other bottom feeder suggestions? The thing is my tank is slightly brackish and I don't think Cories will survive. If shrimp are just costly fish food, what should I do? I kinda want a crawfish or a crab!

I currently have several ghost shrimp (like Ben said, they are cheap and easy to replace if eaten) and 1 fidler crab. The only problem I have heard of with crabs is they are supposedly awesome escape artists. Mine likes to hang out on the top turret of my castle and gets his air time that way but I am sure if it was closer to the edge I would find him crawling across the living room floor at some point...

Hrmmm. so... do you have any other bottom feeder suggestions? The thing is my tank is slightly brackish and I don't think Cories will survive. If shrimp are just costly fish food, what should I do? I kinda want a crawfish or a crab!

Well the shrimp will die in and kind of salt, so if it is slightly brackish, your limited. I was going to say get a bunch of pygmy a.k.a. dwarf cories, they stay small and are fun, when you get a biggerish school, to watch school across the tank. This was before I saw it was brackish, so I don't know what to tell you there since it is brackish. Do a lot of water changes and get rid of the brackish water, then either get some ghost shrimp, or morely suggested dwarf/pygmy cories.

What fishcrazy said is accurate once again. Thanks. But i wouldnt do the change so fast. As you dont want to stress the fish. My mollies live in completetly FW so dont worry about it everything will be fine. Too bad you live in NY or i would ask for a few mollies as i would like to add some new blood to my black mollies which are pure.

I wonder is mollies taste like anchovies?
I mean... if you end up having 100s of them....

;-p

What fishcrazy said is accurate once again. Thanks. But i wouldnt do the change so fast. As you dont want to stress the fish. My mollies live in completetly FW so dont worry about it everything will be fine. Too bad you live in NY or i would ask for a few mollies as i would like to add some new blood to my black mollies which are pure.

If we were closer in distance, I'd be happy to give you some. Anyhow, I seem to be having no problems giving them away to people off of Craigslist. These little fry are so cute!

I gave away 22 of the original litter/brood/batch. (don't know what to call them) I even traded some guppies for a few of them. Then on New Year's Eve, she had about 40 more. In a month or so, I'll be able to give them away as well. I wish I had known how often these fish give birth before I got them. It's a learning experience and its fun! :)

Back
Top Bottom