Mollies and guppies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paxdaddy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Have a breeder net with a pregnant Molly and a few fry. I also have a guppy that looks like she is about to pop! Should I put her in with the Molly? I don't see why I can't but I figured I would ask before doing it. Thanks in advance

They will be very stressed out and the Molly most likely already is. Just put them both back into the main tank and catch fry as they come

emerald76 said:
They will be very stressed out and the Molly most likely already is. Just put them both back into the main tank and catch fry as they come

I will do that thank you!

My guppy recently had 35 babies, I waited till she was actively popping them out, stuck her in the box until she dropped the majority of them out and then put her back in the tank. I tried just letting her have them in the tank but my balloon Mollies were trying to eat them before they could hide, if you put them in the box together it will stress them out too much and they could die. Since my guppy started dropping before I could get any moss I jetted down to Petsmart and bought a fake bushy looking plant that worked perfect for fry to hide in, my other female is due at any time and I'm just going to try it without the box this time

Yeah I was gonna just let them have them in the tank originally and the other night I kept hearing a splash In my tank and couldn't figure out what it was. Next day I found 4 Molly fry up at the surface with some fake floating plants I threw in there. Then it dawned on me that the splashing was my other fish darting up and eating the fry at the surface. The Molly fry stay right at the surface so they are just sitting ducks!

I only use the breeder box as a holder for the fry until all the females have dropped and then I rehome them to my larger tank. it's better for the fish as well.

How long approximately til the Molly fry are large enough to be put back in the tank without the danger of being eaten

Hard to say, mine are 21 days and less and I would probably say between 6-8 weeks they can

Back
Top Bottom