Mollies and Their Fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

guppygourami

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi everyone! I have recently been blessed with three molly fry! I found them under my DW while cleaning out the tank and it really took me for surprise because I knew that mollies are always expecting but it's the first time I got fry. Basically, I'm really new to this as these are my first fry born in my 23 gallon aquarium.

Right now I have them separated in a little mesh breeder net which they seem to be doing great in. They were born 8/23/14 but I only found them yesterday. I've been feeding them Hikari First Bites and I'm not sure what other information I should provide:p Their mom is one of my female black mollies and their dad could've been a black, gold or white molly but so far they look black. One has a hint of white on his belly so I'll just have to wait! Pictures will have to wait a bit as I don't have access to my camera right now and this iPod camera isn't very good.

I'm also wondering if the other female is pregnant so I can know in advance but I won't move her in case she gets stressed. I'll try to provide pics tomorrow:)

Namirah?Canadian, Eh??

Hikari first bites is fine. Live food like baby brine shrimp is best but it may be too much effort to prepare brine shrimp for only 3 fry. Search YouTube for "hatching brine shrimp." Baby brine shrimp will increase growth rate by 2x. Also, try to feed them every 3 hours if possible (any food). Do not over feed. Feed only an amount that they can completely consume within 3 to 5 minutes. Take pictures of them every couple of days to track their growth rate.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Use a net and throw away the excess. Try not to feed too much again, or the water quality will suffer. The fry do not develop a big appetite until around 4 or 5 days old.

Use a net and throw away the excess. Try not to feed too much again, or the water quality will suffer. The fry do not develop a big appetite until around 4 or 5 days old.

I realized that after I watched how little food they eat lol. Thanks, I think I'll do that now because there is a bit of excess food, not too much though:p

Namirah?Canadian, Eh??

Congratulations on the cute fry!

Back
Top Bottom