Mollies spawning temp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishtankfiend

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 20 gallon brackish tank with a 100 watt heater. The heater wont keep the temp at the desired 80 degrees. I would like to have a mollie family and was wondering if a very steady 75-76 degrees is warm enough for mollie breeding. I plan on introducing 4 females and 1 male.

Mollies don't spawn..:). They are live bearers. 75-76 is OK, a little on the cool side for tropicals, but they should do fine. Do you know how to introduce them to brackish conditions as they are normally kept in fw even though they can be fw, bw, and even full marine.

75-76 is plenty warm for most tropical fish. If your fish are healthy, chances are you'll have more mollies than you know what to do with in a few months.

For introducing mollies to slightly salty conditions dont you just add 1/2 Tablespoon a day untill you get to the desired salinity. The reason I chose brackish is because, whether this is acurate information or not, I have read that Mollies are more resistant to disease and infections and things with a little salt in the water. Thanks for the help guys, after all I am a :n00b:.

You use marine salt to create brackish conditions, you didn't specify which type of salt so thought I'd mention that.

I don't know how to make brackish conditions as far as how much marine salt to add, hopefully some others will chime in on this.

Yeah I bought some aquiarium salt. Its good that i didnt kill my fish with table salt. I dont do anything with fish before i research. As far as how much salt to add, I've heard anything from 1 tablespoon to every 4 gallons, 1 to 1, and even 2 to 1. I think im going with 1 tablespoon for every 2 gallons.

aquarium salt wont cut it... you have to use marine salt (instant ocean, red sea, etc)... You will also need a hydrometer or refractometer to test the salinity. dragonfish has a brackish tank, so you may want to pm her on how to properly convert

Well thanks for the salt correction, Now I need to find a store that offers instant ocean and hydrometers. Just wondering, what will aquarium salt do to my fish?

mollies are fine in reg fw. people spawn them out side here at lower temps then that. ill be more impressed if you found a way other then removing the male and female to keep them from spawning. lol

yeah mgamer2000, I put my mollies in the tank and within 15 minutes they were getting busy. I guess the tank conditions are not much different from the one I took them from.

suprise, suprise, I now have mollie fry! I came home today and thought one of my female mollies looked slimmer, and then i discovered the 7-10(?) fry hiding in the rocks and trying not to be eaten. WOOT

i think i found out how to keep them from breeding because i have had my mollie and platies for over 4 months and ive only found 3 fry in that entire time! my water temp is about 76 degrees and ive been using aquarium salt. i just feel bad because everybody is gettin new babies every week and i have nothing to show for mine.....sadness...

i think i found out how to keep them from breeding because i have had my mollie and platies for over 4 months and ive only found 3 fry in that entire time! my water temp is about 76 degrees and ive been using aquarium salt. i just feel bad because everybody is gettin new babies every week and i have nothing to show for mine.....sadness...

You may be getting fry and just not know it. Unfortunately, mollie and platy fry make tasty treats, even to their own parents.

Back
Top Bottom