Mollies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jorro3

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have 2 mollies, one being a silver Molly and the other is black and white spotted Molly. The spotted Molly is constantly chasing the silver Molly. What is the reasoning for that? Also what is the best way to know if they are male or female? And will the reproduce if one is male and female? If anyone can help that'd be great! Thanks!

The spotted molly is called a Dalmatian Molly. I have one and a Gold Doubloon molly too. The Dalmatian molly chases the Gold Doubloon molly a lot. They chase each other and seem to play. At feeding time the DM gets a bit rough with the GDM so I feed them on separate sides of the tank. When the DM gets bratty, the GDM will hide in the plants. They have never hurt each other. I am hoping once they get some tank mates they will chill a bit.
You can tell a male from a female by their bottom fins. The female has a rounded bottom fin right in front of her tail. The male has a long, skinny bottom fin. Somewhere on these boards there is a very good picture of a male and female but I couldn't find it right now. If I find it I will post a link.

If you post a few pictures I can tell you their genders and the aggression can easily be fixed by adding to their school

It also doesn't seem to be a playful chase but I may be wrong, seems so aggressive.

Like I said if you get 2-4 more of them they'll get along better but you want to master sexing them first and get all females

If your using your phone use the plus button next to send and on your computer ad photo

I uploaded pictures but its looking like they didn't show up?

What size tank? Chances are is that the one being chased could be female. And the other is male. But I could be completely wrong so well need pictures

Back
Top Bottom