Molly and platy breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

E.weston

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi there,
I own a largeish aquarium with 1 Dalmatian balloon molly, one regular Dalmatian molly(both male), a few platy unsure of gender and a betta fish.
I woke up as usual and came downstairs to feed them and noticed there were baby fry swimming around so straight away caught as many as I could and put them in a holding tank that sits on the side wall of the tank. I did a clean and noticed more were being found. I now have around 11 and still counting but never actually noticed anyone was pregnant. I have now found the fish that is pregnant and she is an all bright yellow platy.
While looking at the fry I noticed all were yellow, dark grey mixed with yellow but one seemed to be black and white spotty and looked exactly like my Dalmatian molly. I’ve googled and researched as I never expected this and found that molly and platy don’t actually crossbreed but I can clearly tell that the fry have come from their crossbreed.

If anyone can help me I just want to know if this is possible and some tips on how to care for babies. I’ve never had to deal with fry so have googled a lot but any tips from people experienced in this area would be so appreciated.

Thank you!

According to everything I've ever heard/read/researched- this is not physically possible. The two fish are not capable of producing offspring.
Are you sure both of your mollies are male? If you happen to have a male + female- then that explains the fry.
Or- if you are unsure of the genders of the platys- chances are you have males and females- which explains the fry.

I am 100% sure both my mollys are male. I am unsure of the genders of the platys(I have 5) but none of them have the same markings colour of them. The only fish I have that are yellow/ black and white spotty are my 2 Dalmatian mollys and one bright yellow platy which is the pregnant one and my fry are only yellow and one black and white one. I didn’t realise I could get the distinct Dalmatian marking on a platy so this maybe the case however I found it quite strange that it looked exactly like my molly but had the fin of a platy.
Thank you for your response

Back
Top Bottom