Molly deaths! Shimmying?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Renewablemommy

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have lost four Mollies in only two days. All my other fish are fine but my mollies have been acting funny then suddenly they are dead.
My marbled Molly has it now she is shimmying and trying without success to eat veggie wafers. She's shaking so much it almost looks like seizures. I have a video but cannot load it:/
Any ideas? Suggestions?
55 gallon
Ph-8
Ammonia- 0
Nitrates-15
Out of nitrite testing fluid :/

Did water change after the last deaths yesterday and added 3 tbsp aquarium salt and stress coat.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Were they all acting in the "shaking" manor.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The last one that died did, and this one. The others I didn't notice doing this but I assume they were.

The last one that died did, and this one. The others I didn't notice doing this but I assume they were.

without a nitrite test, that doesn't look like nitrite poisoning. In addition to the spasms are they rubbing against anything and do you notice and outwards signs of parasites?
Could be fill flukes, anchor worm or other exoparasite.
Also check your heater and temperature as temp swings can cause strange reactions in fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Agreed about the temperature changes. I've had rotten luck with mollies, and most of them shimmied before dying. Lots of times it happened after water changes, and I added Prime, so all I can come up with was a slight temperature change, even though I tried to be very careful. in any case, it didn't affect any of my other fish, just the mollies. Some people just don't have good luck with them. I'm one of them.

Heaters working great as far as I can see but I added another thermometer to keep track. She is rubbing get side on the sand sometimes, but no signs of anything else. She looks totally normal.
The shimmying has slowed down this evening. She swam like normal for a few hours this evening before starting up for a few minutes again.
It's so strange!!! Definitely tracking temps closer right now though! Thanks!

My guppies did that too. I tried a salt bath, and parasite meds. But they've never recovered, and I've usually felt so bad for them that I've euhanased them rather than watch them labour so much.
Sorry to hear about your mollies :(

Have you got ph and kh/gh readings?

Either something in the water (eg wood releasing something toxic for example) or low ph/kh/gh water can cause this in mollies.

How long have you had the mollies? If they're new to the tank they could be stressed out from the move and gotten a bacterial infection. Or I suspect clamped fin with the way she isn't using her tail. I've had this happen alot while still setting the tank up...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom