Molly fry colors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ENB

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello! I have had my aquarium for about a year, and the first molly born in my tank has just had fry of her own, which I am excited about. However I was very surprised by the color of the fry, and I was wondering if they will change? Or is it possible the fry will look very different from the parents?

The mother is a white balloon molly (born from a dalmatian balloon molly), and the father would have to be the only male in my tank - an orange balloon molly with a sail fin. But the 7 new fry are light gray to black in color! They are only a few days old, so perhaps it's too early to tell?

Thanks in advance for your answers!:fish2:

Attached are photos of the parents and adorable fry, in case that helps.

Attachments

• 2015-01-14_13.32.09.jpeg
    2015-01-14_13.32.09.jpeg
    15.7 KB · Views: 201
  • 2015-01-14_13.51.24.jpeg
    2015-01-14_13.51.24.jpeg
    111.3 KB · Views: 211
  • 20150112_165219_LLS-1.jpg
    20150112_165219_LLS-1.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 188
It may just take some time for them to grow before they show colors. I used to breed mollies and fancy guppies and they were always a few weeks old before they showed any color. Until then, you could never tell what fry were guppies, and which were mollies because they all were tanish/brown/black.

Thank you! That's what I was curious about. My previous molly fry were all white (basically clear), but one of them suddenly started to get really lovely dalmatian spots as she grew. I didn't know if the dark or black fry might show different coloring as well. Based on the colors of my male and female, I was thinking a black male molly must've snuck into my tank during the night to make these babies!

Your male is stunning. Can't wait to see how the fry turn out!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom