Molly Fry... Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IssyDizzy

Aquarium Advice Freak
This morning I got a massive shock as I found around 32 molly fry!!:fish2::fish2::fish2::fish2::fish2::fish2::fish2::fish2::fish2::fish2::fish2::fish2::fish2::fish2::fish2:
This is pretty much the first time I have handled fry so I'm really quite stuck

I have a breeding net:

Fish Breeder Net by Pets at Home | Pets at Home

But Im not sure its big enough for thrirty?
Is it? Plus what should I do?
When should I let them in the original tank?

Last edited by a moderator:
When I unknowingly purchased a pregnant Black Molly I just left her fry in my tank, she only had about 12 live though, the rest were still born and were removed. All of the living fry found hiding spots and survived, we gave all but 4 away to friends. They pretty much just picked tiny bits of algae off of my gravel, plants, and decor and stayed hidden until they were a half inch long and couldn't fit in anybody's mouth.

Do you think it would be best to get one of them cheap 20l?
I would prefer not to let them in the main tank cos I would like as many to survive as possible
It looked really cramped for the babies the net aswell

In my opinion, it's best to leave fry in the main tank, not even in a breeder net. That way, the fry can find their own food growing in the tank. I have higher survival rates by leaving them than by separating them. You may lose a couple but most of them will grow up fine.

I agree with cinnamon. Most will find places to hide and be left alone unless you have especially aggressive fish. I wouldn't waste the energy and money setting up a new tank for the fry, unless that is you plan on keeping all 32 because they'll need a lot of room for growing up.

Let nature be on this one. Mollies have a ton of babies. Some will survive. They hide for 3 or 4 days and by that time they can outrun the big guys in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom