Molly & guppy fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Canary bird

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi I've got about 30 Molly fry 12 days old and 11 guppy fry 16 days old in a 80 litre tank (cycled over 4 weeks ago) and my guppy has just had 10 more fry today is it ok to put the newest arrivals in with the older ones ?
And how often should I feed them ? They are always hungry I give them baby food 3 times a day is that enough ? Now the mollies are much larger and are beginning to eat bigger flakes should I carry on as I am doing ? Weaning them onto bigger flakes ?
Btw this tank was going to be my platy tank until all the babies arrived :/

image-3058527640.jpg

The new arrivals should do fine with the older fry. I have molly fry myself. This is my fourth batch. I just feed mine once a day. My tank is a year old though and has lots of plants and some algae that the fry pick at. I would continue to grind up some of the flakes into powder for the younger fry and leave some of the flakes in small pieces. They can nip off small bites of larger flakes if they have too. I have seen mine grab large flakes from the adults and attack it like a pack of piranha. LOL Three times a day sounds okay. Just make sure and not over feed. I am so guilty of that. With just once a day feeding, my fry have bulging stomachs. Fish will always beg for food. It is so hard not to over feed them.

I feed mine 3/4 times a day with that live bearers food from the store, its a little white bottle I just do 2 drops once in a morning around 10/11 once at around 4pm time and once at night around 7pm sometimes if I feed earlier in the morning I add in an extra feed I have around 24 fry in the tank and I'm expecting more any day now

Thank you these are my first babies ;) I'm so proud lol ;)

Mine too! I was so excited when I found my first 7 about a week later I found the rest that were a lot smaller! I have one guppy that is ready to pop I reckon she's less than a week out and another 2 that I mated about 3 days ago but one looks huge already so ill have to keep an eye on her!

The new arrivals should do fine with the older fry. I have molly fry myself. This is my fourth batch. I just feed mine once a day. My tank is a year old though and has lots of plants and some algae that the fry pick at. I would continue to grind up some of the flakes into powder for the younger fry and leave some of the flakes in small pieces. They can nip off small bites of larger flakes if they have too. I have seen mine grab large flakes from the adults and attack it like a pack of piranha. LOL Three times a day sounds okay. Just make sure and not over feed. I am so guilty of that. With just once a day feeding, my fry have bulging stomachs. Fish will always beg for food. It is so hard not to over feed them.

Thank you, I too feel guilty not feeding them constantly :) oh I put them in the 80 litre this morning with the others , and there were 12 newbies :) very happy babies :)

I feed mine 3/4 times a day with that live bearers food from the store, its a little white bottle I just do 2 drops once in a morning around 10/11 once at around 4pm time and once at night around 7pm sometimes if I feed earlier in the morning I add in an extra feed I have around 24 fry in the tank and I'm expecting more any day now

I use tetra min baby , it's all I could get here ! But they seem to enjoy it, also I use the bigger flakes crumbled as I've 4 baby corydoras in there too so need to make sure all my babies get some food ... I'm changing to twice a day morning and early evening , same as my other fish .. There just so cute I could spend hours watching them .

Back
Top Bottom