molly help popeye?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

timwag2001

Aquarium Advice FINatic
my dalmation molly gave birth and from what i understand the stress probably caused popeye. i''ve treated with melafix at one point and maracyn two at another. her eyes are still cloudy and protruding. i'm pretty sure that she is blind now. is she in pain? i don't want to but is euthanasia the best thing to do?

i really need some advice.
please help

Did you go through the full course of treatment, carbon removed from filter?
Maracyn two I believe is 5 days and malafix is 7.
You may want to try a combo of melafix and pimafix on the off chance the infection may be fungal.

yup. carbon out, melafix for 7 days, maracyn two for 5 days with coppersafe. no help. eyes very big and cloudy, one was bloody. i shined a flashlight in its eyes and it doesnt looks empty in there. she can tell when theres food and blindly swims around looking for food. she is eating though

i'd suggest giving her maracyn multi. its a combo of 1 and 2. also, give her some pimafix.

Cole, I'll mention that your insensitivity is probably not going to be welcomed. A lot of people here care for our fish individually... following up your euthanasia suggestion with 'they're cheap, you can get another one' is not the best way to foster community.

Good luck with your molly, Tim.

is there anything else that i can do? do you think she will be ok?

Like suggested try Pimafix to treat fungus infection. Melafix doesn't cure fungus. Thats about all I can think of.

Cole, I'll mention that your insensitivity is probably not going to be welcomed. A lot of people here care for our fish individually... following up your euthanasia suggestion with 'they're cheap, you can get another one' is not the best way to foster community.

Good luck with your molly, Tim.

Hey no one said i couldn't state my own opinion so could people not judge me for it. I'm sorry that i was so harsh but i didn't mean that your fish is worthless i just meant that expensive medicine for one fish isn't sorry.:peace:

Hey no one said i couldn't state my own opinion so could people not judge me for it. I'm sorry that i was so harsh but i didn't mean that your fish is worthless i just meant that expensive medicine for one fish isn't sorry.:peace:
I spent $1,000 on a sick German Sheppard for vet bills and he ended up dying a couple of months later anyway. He was free and I would do it again if I was in the same situation.
At what point is a pet not worth trying to save?

I have like, 50 baby mollies in my tank and I admit, I'm looking for a fish to put in another tank that likes the taste of black molly.
I like the 2 I originally bought, they have personality.
but the 100's they produce, I'm not real fond of.

I cant give them away, fish shops don't want them. I cant bring myself to flush them since they are alive.

I wouldnt have any scruples about feeding them to some hungry bigger fish, since that just nature.

I know... they are trapped in the tank and cant get away, I thought of that too and yeah it bugs me.

They really need to stick a warning lable on the tanks in the store...."These fish reproduce like fruit flies. Pick all makes or all females if you don't want 100 more in 6 months"

on that theme they need to put big lables on other fish that say "This fish grows up to 24" long. if you buy it, plan on getting a 250 gal tank in the next 2 yrs"

or
"This fish is cute now, but in 6 months when it grows up, it will attack and eat everything that moves"

ok I'm not sure where I'm going here, its late and I have a headache.
Oh yeah, tims molly.... sorry.

I know how ya feel, I have 2 giant goldfish I am very fond of, and wouldnt want to see get sick.
Maybe they will eat the mollies..... MmmMMmmmm.

I spend alot of money on my pets too. Dogs and cats and horses and ducks and fish....

If you said "you can just go buy a new dog" I might slug you in the head.
If you said "you can always buy another molly" I think I'd ask why do they charge 3 bucks a piece at petsmart for them when everyone who bought 2 last year now have 100 of em.

LOL

Back
Top Bottom