Molly Not Look'in so Good

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blang

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a Molly that was in a 15 gallon tank and looks just terrible. He sits on the bottom and comes up for air alot. His tail is also sagging a bit. He's eating just fine. I also have another Molly plus other fish in the tank who are just doing great so it is just this fish.

I initally thought it was old age (I've had him about 8 months) but someone suggested that Patch is not thriving because he should be in a brackish tank. I know that now but didn't 8 months ago. I can't put salt in the 15 gallon, because I have cory cats.

In any event, I moved Patch over to a six gallong tank and added a little over 1/2 tablespoon of salt. I'm not sure I can put him there permantly but should I be adding more salt to bring back his health?

What are your water parameters? What is the temp of the 6 gal? I have mollies that aren't in a brackish tank as they are in a community tank with ADF's and clown loaches. The salt should be good. Keep an eye on him and post your parameters for more expert help from the more experienced members

Nitrite 0, Amononia 0, ph 7.4. The temp is 82 degrees. I reallly hope he pulls through as he is such a nice guy. Not like my other Molly who is a bully.

Hi blang,
Sorry to hear about your molly. You are right not to add salt to a tank with cories. They are very sensitive to salt. Tetras are also.

Did you add 1/2 tablespoon of salt to your six gallon tank, or to each gallon of water as you filled the tank? If you added 1/2 tablespoon of salt to the whole tank, you can add a bit more -- the usual starting dose is one tablespoon per 5 gallons. I would say to add another 1/2 tablespoon, plus about another teaspoon. Dissolve a little bit of the salt in some tank water and then pour it in. Add the salt gradually so the molly has a chance to get used to it. If he appears ok with the salt you already added, add a bit more today and the rest tomorrow.

If this is his problem (he needs salt) then he should get better. I have read about mollies that get sick without salt, and other mollies who seem to be fine without any in the water.

You also mentioned that your other molly was a bully. Could he have been harrassing the sick molly? Now that they are separated, do you see any behavior changes in either molly? (example: the "bully" is not being aggressive anymore, or the sick molly doesn't appear shy or hiding anymore). Just a thought!

Patch is not looking better so tomorrow I'll add the other 1/2 tablespoon plus a teaspoon.

My other Molly (Dalmation) bullies only other platys or Mollies so he is doing just fine with the other fish. Patch has always been the low man on the totem pole no matter who was in the tank. You might say he is a wimp. In fact, when I had another platy and a Molly in the 15 gallon, they all use to pick on him. He was even picked on by my dwarf platy. I ended up separating the fish so Patch could live in peace (sort of). The Dalmation just chases Patch but doesn't hurt him.

At another forum they attacked me with the fact that my Mollies weren't in brackish water and told me that it was my fault that he wasn't thriving and that I have stunted his growth. That made me feel real good. I am glad to hear that you have read that some do just fine in a fresh water community. My other two are healthy and active.

Thanks for your support and let's hope that he does better with the second dose of salt.

I have several mollies, some in a 29 gal and some in a 15 gal. Neither tank has salt due to the tankmates. All my mollies are happy and healthy. I've even gotten some fry from them.

I am curious what your nitrates are? High nitrates can cause problems too.

I don't have a nitrate kit. I took 50% the tank water from my 15 gallon so I know the water is healthy.

Patch is just about the same. I'm afraid that he probably won't make it. He's eating but he struggles to move around.

I think the other Molly misses him as he has been swimming around the tank like crazy.

greenmagi said:
when was the last time you did a water change?
Excellent point! Just because you took the water from your 15 gal doesn't mean it is good, that is where the fish started to get like this, you could have a nitrate problem in your 15 gal. I had a nitrate problem in my 29 gal, the cause was overfeeding. My fish were definitely affected. I was doing pwc's twice a week but the uneaten food was building up in the gravel. I feed less now and gravel vac more often. My tank is healthy now, you learn by experience and this site has been a godsend to me. :multi:

I do weekly water changes with vacumning. The water I took from the tank had been cleaned 5 days prior. All my other fish are doing great. Patch has never been a "strong and healthy" fish. He stresses quite easily. However, this is probably the worse he has every been. The six gallon tank has 1/2 tank water and rest tap water (dechlorinated, of course). The biowheel has been sitting in the 15 gallon so the media is not new. I've added a total of 1 tablesp plus 3/4 teaspoon of salt to Patch's tank.

Is it possible that Patch is just old? He seemed to be full-grown when I purchased him.

I came home this evening and Patch was gone. It's a shame, he was such a sweet fish. He would always give me kisses whenever I stuck my hand in the water.

Thanks everyone for your help and support.

T__T I'm sorry to hear that. I lost my favorite molly to some fungal disease I started to notice when on her side most of her spots were missing and her skin was bare. She stayed in one spot with her dorsal fin down and ate but she was very sluggish.

Puriti, did she have the fungus growth on her? That was happening with Patch but I didn't see any signs of fungus.

He started about a couple of months ago spending all of his afternoons sitting at the bottom. Just recently, his back fin would start sagging. I don't know if I will ever figure out what happened but it would be nice so the next time this does happens, I will have a better understanding on what to do.

I didnt' see any growth, she just suddenly had a big bare spot on her side >_< but her dorsal fin was down and she hardly swam around and she just was acting lethargic

That's interesting. Patch was loosing a lot of his color also but that happened within just the last week of his . He was lethargic for about 2 months before that.

Thinking about this, I've had 3 s in this tank the past six months. I lost a tetra because of an infection due to an injury or a parasite, not sure. I lost a beta who within 4 days, died from an unknown cause. And now, Patch. This is very frustrating since I do regular water changes and they get fed a varied diet. I just hope my luck changes and the rest of the fish stay healthy.

Back
Top Bottom