Molly releasing what looks like eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

twodaend

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
In my 75 gallon community tank, I have 16 mollies (4 boys, 12 girls). 1 of the female black mollies is definitely pregnant. When I first brought her home, the next day I had about 5 fry in the tank, though none survived. Now that she is pregnant again, I noticed that yesterday she released what look like eggs or egg sacks. It appeared to be multiple eggs clumped together.

I was wondering what could be wrong? I do 50% PWC changes once a week, ammonia = 0, nirtIte = 0, nirtAte = very faint pink. In the tank with the mollies is 1 crown tail betta and about 10 ghost shrimp. I also have lost of fake plants for hiding places below and 2 bunches of hornworth floating at the top. The tank has been up for just over a month now.

It may not be anything you are doing, the molly may just be unable to carry babies to full term successfully. What other tankmates do you have? Perhaps another tankmate is stressing her a lot?

There are a total of 16 mollies (4 male, 12 female), 1 betta, and about 10 ghost shrimp

Is the betta aggressive at all to the mollies? She may just be one of those mollies that has trouble with pregnancies. With the ratio you have you will end up with fry for sure. The mollies will eat their own fry to be sure. Even with lots of hiding spots you will only save so many. Some are sure to survive some will not. Don't worry as I am sure you will get lots and lots of fry soon!

The betta does well with the other fish. The first few days, when I put him in, he would flare up at anyone who came near him. Now he just goes about his business and doesn't bother any of the other fish.

My black molly has finally release some babies. I only count about 4 though. I've noticed that the dominate male, stays very close to her often flaring up when anyone comes near. However, he will ofter chase her staying right underneath and the next in line male will do the same. He will only swoop in for the chase, but stay away unless the dominate male start the chase.

What do you think is going on? I turned the lights off to keep it dark so hopefully the female will not be to stressed.

Back
Top Bottom