Molly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fatfei

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi, had these appearing on some of my mollies for months now. Only on about two fish at a time over about a year. The rest (about 20 mainly juveniles) are fine. It doesn't seem to spread throughout the community. It's never affected my neon tetras that have been in there for four years now nor the pleco. It's a well established aquarium (over five years old including filter) well maintained & water changed normally weekly (it's a 180lt tank). Filled up weekly via a chorine removing filter, same used in my other aquariums including a shrimp tank. My first thought is ammonia or nitrite but that's all fine. There's also no signs of water quality issues, I monitor the food intake which is probably a little under when putting in but fed three times a day. Live plants in there for years a few unwanted snails & some assassin snails. A planted aquarium substrate. Temperature about 24c to 25c

I had previously treated with anti bacterial waterlife and the anti viral over days but it never solved it. (Myaxazin & protozin)

Only other thing I can think of is that they're injuring themselves on something?

All the best758261829.jpg575500228.jpg

Ammonia poisoning is the most likely cause. Even though you are not seeing ammonia i would still do plenty water changes. If nothing else it will maintain pristine water conditions which will help whatever the cause. Even if you are not seeing ammonia now, it could have been caused by an ammonia spike before you noticed the redness and the ammonia is now gone. Clean water is the only solution for ammonia poisoning i know of.

Parasites and bacterial infection are other less likely causes. Im going to make a presumption based on the medication you have tried. You are UK based? Unfortunately here the medication available in the US is vets prescription only here. The Waterlife products you used are about as good as we get over the counter here, and myxazin is what I would recommend. You could try esha2000 as an alternative. Interpet brands as a last resort, imo interpet is kill or cure, its pretty crude.

Thanks Aiken,

Yep, UK. I'll perform more water changes then. Maybe clear out the ornaments too.

Thank you kindly.

Esha2000 is a viable alternative to myxazin. Different active ingredient. A bit broader use so covers a few more bases.

Stresscoat might be worth a try. The aloe vera additive might give some comfort.

Back
Top Bottom