Molting Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarkW19

Aquarium Advice Addict
My blood shrimp has just molted again, he only did it 2-3 weeks ago, and has only been in the tank for 4/5 weeks.

Is something wrong? Maybe my iodine levels?

Nothing wrong IMO.

Are you adding iodine? If so, you should stop and only rely on water changes to keep it up. There is no reliable test for iodine, so one can very easily over do it and cause serious problems.

Thanks for the reply. I'm not adding iodine, no. Just a 30% PWC (with Seachem salt) every 2 weeks.

I was just under the impression that shrimp should be molting every couple of months, or several weeks, rather than every fortnight? :p

He seems to be eating ok though, I drop him in a couple of sinking pellets every day or so, and he pounces on them. Hides 98% of the time though, but that's just what they do :p

He has all of his feelers after the molt etc., so seems to be doing ok.

More it eats the faster it grows the more frequent it will molt. They also molt in response to changes in water chemistry like waters changes.

Fair enough, well if every 2-3 weeks is normal, I'll stop worrying then :)

Thanks for the help.

They typically tend to molt more often when younger and in a new environment. Mine would molt about every 3 weeks or so. I also left the molt in the tank and let the clean up crew do their jobs.

Good to hear, thanks.

I guess I'll also leave the molt there as well then, at least for a few days.

MarkW19 said:
I'll also leave the molt there as well then, at least for a few days.
I'd be surprised if the molt is even there after a few days.

He's just molted again today, 2 1/2 weeks after.

So, it looks like it's a steady 2 1/2 weeks :)

It wont be every 2 1/2 weeks all the time. It`s sporadic as far as how often. Good to hear he`s doing good though.

It's just been every 2 1/2 weeks for the past 3 times since I got him, that's all ;) If it's normal/natural to do it so often then I'll stop worrying!

He hides most of the time, but occasionally comes it, especially at feeding time! I also drop some sinking pellets in for him which he pounces on! His new legs/feelers are always complete, so I think he's doing well...

And again today, 2 1/2 weeks after! Hehe.

I have fairly high nitrates at the mo, should I be getting the molt out with this in mind, or will it be ok leaving it in?

Yeah, mine's gone now. He seems happy enough, grabs food I drop in etc., comes out a little bit (though hides mostly, but this is their normal behaviour!).

Back
Top Bottom