Momma and Daddy dead but babies still alive!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IShallNtEatFish

Aquarium Advice Freak
HELP!! I just came home to find my mom and dad platy dead they had 8 fry the other day... my fry are still alive but i dotn know what to do! They are new fish about a week old. The fry are in a breeder box.. I'm really new to this and just am so upset that my fish are dying. Any help would be great! Thank you in advance

i just did a test and here are the results
GH 0
KH 20
PH 6.5
NO2 0
NO3 0

Last edited:
Well i went to feed the babies their afternoon meal and they were all dead. I guess I'm just not meant to have fish..

How old is the tank what was the ammonia level what test kit are you using any new additions also what size tank is it

the tank is about 4 years old and the last of the original died about a month ago.. i cleaned it and reset it up a week ago and my mom came home with 6 fish and the first day 1 died the 2nd day everyone was good and thats when i found the fry. the 3rd day 2 more died and then yesterday i came home and the last 3 were dead and my fry were good but now all my fry are dead. idk ammonia was and a 5 in 1 test kit that the people at the pet store recommend and its a 30 gal with a pump. in the past it has been planted but when i cleaned i got rid of the plants

the tank is about 4 years old and the last of the original died about a month ago.. i cleaned it and reset it up a week ago and my mom came home with 6 fish and the first day 1 died the 2nd day everyone was good and thats when i found the fry. the 3rd day 2 more died and then yesterday i came home and the last 3 were dead and my fry were good but now all my fry are dead. idk ammonia was and a 5 in 1 test kit that the people at the pet store recommend and its a 30 gal with a pump. in the past it has been planted but when i cleaned i got rid of the plants

Toss the strips they are highly inaccurate and pick up a a pi freshwater master test kit you can get a good deal online when you say pump do you mean a sump underneath or do you have a hob (hang on back) filter also what is your water change schedule like how much do you feed

ok thanks
and yes hang on the back
and i normally do 1/2 once a week like i said i only had these for a week before they all died...
and im feeding a few fish flakes a day

ok thanks
and yes hang on the back
and i normally do 1/2 once a week like i said i only had these for a week before they all died...
and im feeding a few fish flakes a day

Hmm sounds like you might've gotten bad stock unfortunately I would do a water change and get the test kit and report back

When you say you cleaned and reset it do you mean you completely cleaned everything, tank, substrate, filter? You should have a reading for nitrates in a cycled tank, but no ammonia or nitrites.

Did you keep the old filter cartridge? If not you probably got an ammonia spike from the cycle starting again and stocking too many fish at once.

Soap would have done it too

You really need to get your own test kits to monitor your water and start the cycling process over. You can do a fishless cycle using pure ammonia, no dead fish. Or do a fish in cycle, but you need the test kits, no way around it! If you know anyone that has a cycled tank maybe they can give you some filter media to help jump start the cycle. Get those test kits! :)

Ok so the chain best store doesn't have theat one... Can I get it online somewhere? And no soap was used. I do the same thing with my pond outside at the start of every season. It's an old above ground 3000 gallon water tank, looks like a pool... So I though I was in the clear to do it with my inside fish too...

EBay or amazon is a good place that 3000g pond is different from a 30g don't replace any media until its falling apart

Back
Top Bottom