Monster shrimp...eggs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Haileyjade

Aquarium Advice Freak
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390266305.470542.jpg

This is my first time keeping shrimp, and everyone talks about a 'saddle'. Is that what the green section is on this shrimp? I believe she is a female...she is around 2 inches long and is the biggest I have ever seen in my limited experience. I have 2 other smaller shrimp, though I can't speculate on the gender of either.

I don't really care to raise babies, and I know it is extremely hard with ghost shrimp anyway. I am just curious.

It's a little hard to tell from the picture, but I think the green section you see is the shrimps digestive tract. When the shrimp becomes saddled, it will be a spot a little behind the digestive system, and a lighter color.
Also just so you're aware, some species sold as ghost shrimp cannot reproduce in fresh water (they need brackish). The females will still become berried but when the eggs are released into larva they cannot survive in freshwater.

I was thinking that as well, but it had just eaten a frozen bloodworm. I could see the red color of the food beneath the green.

Thanks for the info. Like I said, I was merely curious. I'm definitely not making an effort to breed, and don't want babies even of it did happen. Which is partially why I chose the ghosties...I have heard it's rare to get past the larval stage. Thanks!

There are some types of ghost shrimp Larva that can survive in freshwater just want to point that out...but it is unlikely that they will survive

I feel bad saying I am relieved to hear that, but I kind of am. Oh well, if I end up with a few survivors I'll still give them a home. I just hope it doesn't happen.

wow, congrats!
I believe Fishfur recently posted some info on how to feed the babies, if you are interested.

Looks like good old Ghost shrimp, that is, Sp. palaemonetes to me. In which case, the larvae, or zoeys, have a marginal chance of survival in most tanks, and if they actually morph into shrimplets, a slight chance of survival.

But it's possible you'll get one or two that live, in which case, free shrimp ! I have posted how to raise them on a few occasions, having raised several broods myself. Interesting process to observe.. the tiny shrimplets are quite fascinating. But the chance of getting more than one or two is negligible unless you are really trying to help them along.

Thank you, Fishfur! I will check out some of your threads. I am glad I dot have to worry about being overrun. I wouldn't mid a couple free shrimp though, and it would be neat to see the process. It was sure a surprise to see eggs in the first place!

Back
Top Bottom