moonlights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have only one on my tank and its a 45 gallon. I got it at North Coast Marine for 58.00. That includes shipping... I got it about 6 months ago & LOVE IT...

I heard also that the true actinic 13 watt PC's are cool looking on large tanks..

I was advised some time ago that 4 LEDS would be good for a 4ft tank

So four bulbs at $58.00 each?? Man that's an awful lot of money....

Where can I see this product? Online site?

I did my moonlights with 16 LEDs and built it myself...the tank looks great. It cost me about 20 bucks for everything.

Actually you can run one CSL moonlite for every (2) feet of tank length. CSl just went out of business so when they are gone they are gone. I have them on sale right now for $22.99 each. This is the lwast exspensive moonlite on the market right now and works awesome!

hey darin will i be able to connect two csl moonlites to one power cord or will i have to use 2 seperate ones? thanks

There are a few posts on this topic - particularly in the DIY forum. Just as an FYI it is really easy to build these things, a few LEDS a few resistors and a cheap power pack.

See 5 LED Moonlight posted by Yaksplat.

In that trail I posted a hand-drawn sketch of how to do this as well as the sites to get all the parts. Roughly:

5 LEDS at .45 each
1 Powerpack at about $4 (Allcorp.com)
and a few 70 ohm resistors for about .15

total cost less than $8 and far greater bluelight output then CSL.

Add a 555 circut and you can make them dimmable. With the suggested powerback you can load dozens of these LED's. I.e. Assuming you have a long tank you can run 20 of them, one every few inches in your hood.

Just a thought, for you folks willing to DIY

Tom

Making your own leds will save you alot of money and its not very hard to do either...i have 3 of them on my 30 gal and it only cost about 20 bucks or so. Here is a site with some directions... http://www.kaotica.com/frag/diy/moonlight/

my 105 gallon is 48" long and I have four LEDS on it, looks really great. I recommend the CSL, but you will have 4 seperate plugs about the same size as a typical phone AC adapter.

All this time and energy spent on moon lights. Are they really neccessary or just for looks? I will be starting a 100 gal reef soon and just curious if I should have these as well.

Gotbait,

I started a seperate topic on that exact question - are they necessary? But no one responded. I think they are helpful for some reasons I posted in that topic.

In this forum under

"Ok, I'm pretty convinced now, Moonlights=good, any thoughts?"

It contains my thoughts on this anyway.

Tom

Back
Top Bottom