More Angelfish or Find Other Tankmates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mxg5299

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I have a 60 gallon with:
6 Gold Barb
3 Giant Danio
2 Clown Loach
1 Angelfish

I originally bought two juvenile angels, but only one lasted through that weekend. Last week, I added another angel but it was bullied by the original and refused to eat my flake food, so it also only lasted a few days. The one angel in there is a perfect specimen of health and doesn't bother anything else in the tank. My question is if I should get another angel or just give up and leave him as the sole angel, finding other tankmates. Any suggestions?

I'd keep the one angel and either add more clowns or maybe a school of Corydoras.

Clowns- they like schools of 5+ but these fish will need a bigger tank in the future.

Caleb

I think a school of corydoras to! you will have more movement at the bottom of the tank!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I think I'll stay away from another angel, that leaves about 20 in worth of fish left. I was told that my larger gravel isn't ideal for cories and that the loaches can handle cleaning the bottom. Any other recommendations?

I think I'll stay away from another angel, that leaves about 20 in worth of fish left. I was told that my larger gravel isn't ideal for cories and that the loaches can handle cleaning the bottom. Any other recommendations?

The inches rule is not very accurate. Definitely get at least 3 more clown loaches, or swap the clown loaches for another type if you can't upgrade; clown loaches will outgrow your tank and need at least a 125 gallon.

Not sure if clown loach has been over stressed here.

Just pulled this off utube. About 20 secs into the video.

Clown loaches do get huge!!!! I was at a big aquarium store and they had a indoor Pond and there was sting rays, fire ells and about a 2ft clown loach! He must of been very old!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah I might have to replace the clowns eventually, what about Pictus Cats? They stay relatively small and the seem extremely active! I was told that the clowns range greatly in max size and that they take a long time to grow, so I'd be safe. If I were to replace them, Pictus Cats? And for the remaining space I was thinking Kribs or Rams. Thoughts?

I loooove pictus cats. I have some in my 150 with severums and giant danios. You could definitely get them!

As for clown loaches, yes they grow slow but unless they are stunted should reach at least 10 inches. A school of 10 inch fish is too much for a 60 gallon. Rams would be good depending on what your water is like.

Sent from my XT830C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Do Pictus Cats stay just as active and energetic as they appear in stores or do they tend to hide like most catfish?

Do Pictus Cats stay just as active and energetic as they appear in stores or do they tend to hide like most catfish?

I've seen them do both. In larger groups they tend to be more active and out and about like in stores.

Are there any bottom dwellers that will be constantly active but don't get too large or require a larger group?

If you like the clown loaches swap them for some angelicus loaches, botia kubotai. Very similar personalities, minimum group of 5 but they are very fun and active and beautiful.

I can only ever seem to find one of my clowns, the other simply disappears and I won't see it again for the rest of the day. The anglelcus botia would be a perfect fit, but do they have a tendency to hide? Sources say they reach about 5 in which is great!

I can only ever seem to find one of my clowns, the other simply disappears and I won't see it again for the rest of the day. The anglelcus botia would be a perfect fit, but do they have a tendency to hide? Sources say they reach about 5 in which is great!

Mine never ever hide. If you provide them a group of 5 and plenty of cover they'll be out and about constantly.

Should I be worrying about the loaches right now? They're about 2 in so far and I don't know how fast they grow. Let's say I replace them with 2-3 angelicus botia, what should I fill that spare space with?

I wouldn't get less than 5 and I promise you wouldn't regret it. They're one of my favorite fish ever. In fact if it were me I'd get 8 angelicus botia and call it good. They are ridiculously fun fish that when comfortable will use the whole water column and even eat out of your hand.

Are you sure? That's essentially the rest of my stocking. How soon should I replace the clowns? As of right now I'd like as much movement as possible, don't have much in the middle.

Are you sure? That's essentially the rest of my stocking. How soon should I replace the clowns? As of right now I'd like as much movement as possible, don't have much in the middle.

Every Botia loach I have owned swims all over the tank. They are crazy active in groups.

Caleb

I made a video for you of my 55 gallon loach community tank which should show you just how active angelicus loaches are in large enough groups. Hope you enjoy my tank :)

Back
Top Bottom