More green things in my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sir Ottis

Aquarium Advice Regular
Can anyone tell me what this green stuff is?

img_874181_0_9bb63dc916fe0b6ae3d3054796c0e339.jpg

VERY CAREFULLY!!! Either try to pull it off w/o bursting any of the bubbles. Or, get an emerald crab. If you burst the bubbles, you will get an outbreak all over the tank. I'm sure others will have more suggestions.

I don't know about bubble algae (but I could be wrong), that looks like it might be some sort of Codium arabicum, but as Fluff advised me a while ago, you may have to wait to see how it grows. Regardless, it thriving from excess nutrients.

Limiting your excess nutrients will help in controlling the algae. Removal can be a pain and is up to you. You should remove the rock from the tank and try gently twisting each bubble off the rock. Use a seperate bucket or container of seawater to rinse the rock before returning it to the tank. As for the use of emerald crabs... it's hit or miss. They may or may not eat it as well as become a nuisence themselves later down the road. IME
I've had bubble algae and never did anything to get rid of it other than water changes. It eventually died out on it's own. I would start with extra water changes and possibly adding other competing macros to see if that helps.

Back
Top Bottom