More male than female threadfin rainbows-all males?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wagz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My lfs just got some great threadfin rainbows in. I bougt 3 pair. 3male/3female. I love this fish but as with most, the females just arent very colorful, very plain. I was wondering if I could add two more males without adding any more females, or with this be battle city . Would it be better to only have males so there would be nobody to fight for?

Thanks.

Last edited:
That's a great question, and so far I haven't been able to answer it. LOL. I haven't noticed much of a difference in keeping mostly male threadfins vs keeping an equal ratio, or even more females than males. Tank size probably makes a difference here. I keep threadfins in 20 high or 29 gal tanks in groups of 12-25, if that helps. :)

*edit* The females do color up to a nice neon green color once they settle in and get some size on them. Give them a couple months and see what you think. ;)

Tank size.

My tank is a 75 gallon moderately planted set-up. I had it cycling for a month and a half before I decided I need some plant growing substrate and decided to make mineralized topsoil. It has only been set up 2 weeks since overhaul to add soil but I used old gravel as a cap and kept the same filter media in, just added another carbon bag. So I hope I have some cycling happening. Only had 11 neons, but then I finally found some longfin zebra danios' and added six. Two days later I found Threadfins and they weren't going to last long so I acted. A bit of a leap in faith as far as population increase with cycling iffy at best. Anyway, plan to add some more males when I get things stable.

Back
Top Bottom