More on water level

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hara

Aquarium Advice Addict
I still don't think I am doing this right. We have the water level to
just the top of the divider. This makes the water on the refuge side rather shallow, less than half the tank has water in it. The pump side of the sump, will actually go stagnant at the top. Should we have more water in this?

Stagnant water in the pump part of the sump isn't unusual, there isn't much surface movement there. That's a good thing to prevent micro bubbles from reentering the main tank.
As far as the water level you want to be sure your sump will handle the water from a power out. Kill your pump(s) and let the tank drain into the sump. If there is room, fill the sump to the top. Restart the pump(s). This will be your maximum (safe) sump level. If it's not enough for the 'fuge you may have to rethink the idea a little.

ALso once the pumps have been started mark the maximum safe water level with something on the sump. Then when adding top off water or doing a water change you will know how high to fill the sump.

ok, so then,(forgive my denseness), it is alright and prefereable to make the water line be above the divider, so that all of the water does not have to go through the sponge filter and then underneath? Half goes under and lots goes over the top of the divider?

In my view set the water level where ever you want it.

Shoot if you saw my sump you would wonder why mine is not seperated up into seperate compartments.

I run my sump at 90% full all the time. But I know if i loose power it will fill up to 100% andnot overflow.

I would remove the sponge filter. That may be slowing the flow through the baffel.

Actually a pic of your problem may be the best way to get some ideas.

heh, the "problem" is that I do not know how high the water level should be. Everything is flowing just fine. I was under the impression that the water level had to be below the baffle level to be effective. Yet, the baffle level is set at 50% tank volume. That seems almost too low for it to act as an effective refugium, but seeing as I have never worked with a refug, I could be all wet ;)

Is it a refugium or a sump you are using as a refugium? I didn't mean you had a problem but if it'd not to your satisfaction then it should be fixed. Post a pic. A pic is worth a thousand posts or something like that :roll:

ok ..it is a sump. We are using the center part as a refugium. As you can see in this pic, the water is just to the height of the baffle. The only difference now, from this photo, is that I have removed the basket and added some sprouts of Caulerpa.

Thanks for the pic!!!!
The water comes in a the right, right?
The pump is hooked to the left compartment?
Assuming that is true, I would put a baffle to form a skinny compartment where the water comes in to keep bubbles to a minimum in the 'fuge part (unless you have mitigated the splashing another way). Fill the thing up like I described to the maximum allowable level. Forget the function of the left baffle except to keep the sand out of the pump. Let the water flow over the top. If needed (to keep micro bubbles oout of the main tank) put another baffle in the left compartment to allow water to flow under it so the water has to go over then under before reaching the pump.

Woohoo! Thank you thank you thankyou.....
Yes, water comes in at the right, exits in the left compartment. The sand is still, but there is now a "foam" at the top. I removed the basket a couple of days ago as I felt the filter media I was using to keep the splash down was just a nitrate factory. It now has 2 indentions in the sand/macromedia where the hoses are, the rest is still, but the top has that bubbly stuff. Now the bubbles are not down low at all, where the water pump is, and it goes back into the tank is clear and still. So I dont think I will need the baffle there. But it does mean that I can add more water.!
I will do the " shut it off and see where the water level ends up" thing in the morning.

Thanks again for all the help

Back
Top Bottom