More plant questions..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yellow Eye Tang

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok, as fort had suggested I have been treating my situation with doses of API Leaf zone. I have not had a chance to get up and grab the Seachems Florish yet but I have a Nutrafin Plant gro fert I have been using for the most of the other elements that plants require. (Mostly Iron, and Nitrogen) My Anubis has a full new leaf after one week, but seeing very little out of the swords, ect. I was just thinking maybe I have not planted them into the gravel/eco complete substrate. I've been reading a lot about how different plants need to be planted and treated differently as far as the ferts go. Could anyone throw out a list of plants and whether or not they should be deeply buried or not? I've heard that some Rhizomes should not be buried. I hope this is not too much to ask for :) I know there is a ton of plants out there. To hear about planting for some of the most common might help me out a bit. Thanks!

Sorry, my son is out here distracting me! LOL I meant to say that maybe I have not planted them "Correctly" into the substrate. Also, I'm throwing in the ferts weekly.

Most plants can be planted. Anubias and Java Fern are the main two that have to have the rhizome exposed. I think really a better idea would be to post the plants you want, and we can tell you how to plant them.

Swords are heavy root feeders. They need root tabs under them to get the nutrients they need to grow. I have a month old sword that is on the verge of outgrowing my 40 breeder. IME, it's very hard to get a good mix out of those bottled ferts. They're set to a specific mix that may not work for your tank.

Thanks Mfdrookie, would you suggest me throwing back in my DIY CO2. You know, the regular 2 liter bottle with sugar/yeast mix into a 20g? The reason I pulled it long ago was that I got a big hair algae outbreak after about a month of using it. I'd be willing to buy a CO2 test though and try it again if it is necessary.

Yeah, co2 is always a good addition... as long as you do it appropriately. No co2 is better than insufficient or fluctuating co2. If you can build a generator to produce enough co2 to keep your tank at 30-40ppm co2, then go for it. Otherwise, its a bad idea and asking for algae problems.

Back
Top Bottom