More Water Volume = More Fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yao

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm planning on building a 20 gallon sump for my 55 gallon freshwater. So in planning what fish to have, do I still plan for 55 inches of fish, or 70 (since sump won't be full, add 15 gallons)?

I know swimming space is important too. I'm planning on a 3 angel fish, a few cichlids, schools of corys, schools of tetras, a smaller pleco, maybe a few loaches.

Does my sump allow me to have more fish? :roll:

I would say yes, but you are sure to get many opinions on this.

Filtration and swimming space would be the only concerns. Be wise in your species selection.

Ditto what ringfinger said. You'd be able to handle more based on water flow, volume, etc. But you will still be limited on swimming space. So, choose what you wish to keep wisely, like already mentioned.

What you already mentioned sounds good, except the cichlids. Most are fairly agressive and may munch down your tetras. Also, if you wish to get angels, neon tetras are out of the question as well, as they are a natural food source for the angel fish.

What about Bolivian Rams and German Rams with other community fish? They are pretty small, and I've read they're peaceful. I was also thinking about the panda dwarf cichlid. Would a few of those be okay in a community tank? Maybe two pairs?

two pairs of dwarf cichlids in the 55 gallon would be okay, regardless of sump. Sump will just give you better biological filtration. You would just need to make sure there are two distinct territories on each end of the tank, allowing them space if they breed.

Sounds like a cool setup. Where in MI are ya?

Tank size and number of fish is more an issue of territory space required than water volume. BTW, angel fish are cichlids, and adding 3 may result in a pair, adding 5 or 6 will be more likely to result in a pair, but once a pair forms, it is best to return the rest of the angels. A 55 is only big enough for one pair, regardless of filtration. When the angelfish grow, they will likely eat the schools of tetras, if they are small tetras like neons/cardinals.

I'm in the greater detroit area, where in MI are you, workfortheman? If you're close, are there any great fish stores you go to that you'd suggest for me?

You've increased water volume, but not space. Stocking guidelines are more about space/crowding issues than fish waste, since most HOB's and a regular water change will keep the water plenty clean for FW.

I say your stocking is still a normal 55gal.

Back
Top Bottom