Morgie's Breeding Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Morgie

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm going to use this is my permanent thread for my breeding endeavors. I just got a fry tank set up (10g, thin layer of gravel/sand, hornwort, airstone)

Here are the species of fish I'll likely breed:
~Angels (one marbled, one black, one yellow/orange veiltail, one koi, all unsexed)
~Dwarf Gouramis (the male is a flame dwarf, unsure about the female)
~Pearl Gouramis
~Corydoras
~Kribs
~Sunfish (possibly)
~Apple Snails (they breed constantly whether I want them to or not :rolleyes:)

My cories have spawned several times before, but the eggs were always eaten by one of my gouramis. Now that I have a fry tank I'll try to save at least some of the babies. I just did a good water change and refilled it with cooler water, which always makes them lay in the mornings. I'm hoping anyway!

I didn't originally want to breed my fish, but after watching them try and fail on their own I want to try my hand at it. If I'm successful I'll probably sell some of the nicer fish I produce here.

I'll keep this thread updated with whatever progress I make.
If you guys have any advice for a breeding newbie I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks!
I woke up this morning and my cories haven't spawned as far as I can tell. Even if the eggs were eaten they would have left little rings on the glass. They are showing signs that they're getting ready to, though (increased activity, fattening up, etc) so I will continue a schedule of small, frequent feedings and daily water changes.

And I am now almost positive that my largest angel (3-4" long) is gravid. She's looking very chubby and the papilla is showing pretty clearly. I recently put in the young angels I was growing out in my 20g and she showed a change in behavior almost immediately. I'm unsure of the sexes of my other angels, so I'll try to get some quality pictures of them for a second opinion. Who knows? Maybe I'll be raising some angel fry in the next couple of weeks.

Here are the sizes of my angels, I'll post pictures later.
Marbled Angel (high-yellow): 3-4", likely female
Black Marbled Angel: 2"
Koi Angel: A little bigger than quarter sized
Yellow Veiltail: Dime sized

All are getting along fine, which I was pretty worried about in the beginning. Will keep you posted!

My peppered cories laid around 100-200 eggs this morning, but I didn't look into that tank until about an hour ago so most of the eggs were eaten.
I was able to save about 5-10 viable eggs and will update with pics on their progress. :)
They may still be in the process of spawning so I might have some more to add to that number

Back
Top Bottom