Mosquito Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishstixs05

Aquarium Advice Freak
Has anyone kept these fish? I got 10 for my pond, and while I was gone for a week they became 30! They are just like guppies only gray. If you live in the sac-yolo county area of california, you get them for free. (unfortunatly, i live 5 min. out of the 2 counties.) anyway, they are great fish, and wondering if anyone kept them.

i havent but arent mosquito fish livebearers? or did i mistake them for another fish?

They were selling the same thing down here...they looked like bait to me, so I skipped them. Goldfish will eat the 'skeeters too.

they are livebearers, cousin of guyppy. agoldfish will eat mosquitos, but as a last resort, these are much more effective. If anyone needs some in the sacramento area. 1-get them at vector control 2-if out of that area i can give you some of mine.

A lot of interesting info on that site. I think I may look into getting some 'skeeter fish next year. :mrgreen:

In florida (where I grew up) these fish are in every body of fresh water. We always just called them minnows. There are some that are speckled black and white (salt and pepper minnows). I am not sure if they are wild or started out somewhere as a released domestic fish. I do know that they are livebearers and are very prolific breeders. They will keep the larvae out of your pond, but more than likely you will need to thin out the numbers on a periodic basis.

Back
Top Bottom