Moss on Driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GhostKnife

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am looking to get some moss to tie onto my malaysian driftwood. Can you give me good low to med light moss that would look nice and furry. I plan to get java moss too but I would like another type as well. I also want to know does fishing line work for stringing it onto the driftwood?

I used fishing line to tie my Java Moss to rocks what i like about it is that you cant see it, I don't see why it would not work for wood too, BTW Christmas Moss is nice IMO looks better than Java Moss.

Heres a pic of some java moss i tied to rocks a couple months ago i have removed the line after 5 weeks i need to trim it abit.

Attachments

• rocks1.jpg
    rocks1.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
Apparently Christmas Moss is another type of low light moss. This is frequently recommended for low light tanks. Waiting for either type to show up in my LFS and then I can give some first hand knowledge...

Nice CTD after the hair cut can I get one ... I need one... Anyways is CO2 needed for any planted aquarium? Also does the moss attach itself after time... Hence you were able to remove the line?

The moss will eventually attach itself to the wood. I have tied moss to driftwood in my tank with 5lb test fishing line. I like it better than rubber bands because it is basically invisible. I know FishCrazyBenBomb from the forums here grows a lot of Christmas moss. maybe you can get him to show you a pic of his latest foray.

As far as CO2, I do have a pressurized system running on my tank, but as far as I know it is not necessary to grow java moss.

Here is a pic of the moss I have attached to my driftwood:
19738-albums313-picture2366.jpg

I've used java moss and christmas moss on rocks, works great, looks great.

Good luck trying to find christmas moss though if you want some, I had to order mine straight from malayisa. :p

So uhh hey guys how can I get my hands on this christmas moss???? Any way I can get ahold of the prime minister of malaysia .... No Seriously.

Okay I lied hey fishcrazybenbomb is there a website you got yours from?
I just ordered some off EBAY from seller AQUATICMAGIC a week or so ago. Expecting it in the next few days. Cheap prices, and supposed guarantee. Will let you know how it arrives.

Nice CTD after the hair cut can I get one ... I need one... Anyways is CO2 needed for any planted aquarium? Also does the moss attach itself after time... Hence you were able to remove the line?
Right now i dont have any extra or i would send you some i'm going to take the pieces i trim and tie them to a piece of 10" X 20" plastic canvas and place it in the bottom of a 10G tank to grow a moss carpet on so i can later (after it grows out) stand it up as a natural background.

CO2 is needed if you are doing high lighting. but if you are just doing low to low-medium you can do without it.

Yes the moss will attach itself in short time (often places you dont want it to) you can attach it with fishline or rubberbands i personally line fishline due to it not showing very well.

I've had very good experiences with AquaticMagic. I didn't have to take advantage of the guarantee, but they were very professional, shipped promptly and packaged well, as well as quick responses to emails. I would highly recommend them, and they have an excellent selection too.

A moss ball is a wad of algae. It naturally grows in a ball shape, and won't attach to anything. I like them, but they are nothing like the moss projects being discussed here.

Pretty much all aquatic mosses can be grown in medium low light, and Java Moss does well in low light. You'll find that they grow slower with less light and may look differently, but they should all be fine with medium low light.

Aquatic Moss is one of my favorite sites for information on the different types of aquatic mosses available.

While CO2 is required for all plants, you don't have to have more than the ambient levels present unless you venture into lighting levels above medium light. That's when you have to start considering injecting CO2. Additional CO2 is beneficial at the lower light levels, just not required.

One of the best sources for plants is our very own classifieds/barter/trade forums. You may find that someone is already has some of what you want available, or you could place a wanted ad. Of course many of us aren't shipping plants right now as it it simply too cold in our neck of the woods.

Hey thanks guys!!! Lots of good stuff here. Ill put pics up when I get this stuff done! I have some malaysian driftwood I think a dark/contrasting moss would look kick ace on! CTD that looks even cooler with that picture enhanced/retaken. NICE!!!!!

Any one here with Flame Moss saw it on aquaticmoss.net looks like some cool stuff! Also anyone here with a section or whole bottom of their tank with moss?

I bought mine off aquabid.com from AquaticMagic. They sell TONS of plants, just go to the mosses section and you'll most likely find them. I don't know if they still have a deal anymore though, they had a christmas deal on christmas moss (hehe:-D). I got 5x I like 2"x2" slabs of it. Took a while for it to recover since it was in a barely wet plastic baggy. They screwed up my payment and said they "didn't get it" but they did and finally sent it. But i'm happy with what I got though. I like that x-mas moss stuff.

They sell tons of cool, different, mosses you don't commonly see in the U.S. so you might want to look around at them first before you go straight to x-mas moss.

Hope that helps. :p

Back
Top Bottom