Moss on Driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Be careful with some of those different mosses that aquaticmagic is selling. The reason you don't see them in other places is because they are non-aquatic. aquaticmagic does have a great selection, but don't take their word or their pictures at 100% face value -- several of their selections are not meant to grow in your aquarium; they will die if submerged for an extended period of time. Star moss is one example of that.

Be careful with some of those different mosses that aquaticmagic is selling. The reason you don't see them in other places is because they are non-aquatic. aquaticmagic does have a great selection, but don't take their word or their pictures at 100% face value -- several of their selections are not meant to grow in your aquarium; they will die if submerged for an extended period of time. Star moss is one example of that.

Really? Didn't know this.

Also didn't know that star moss wasn't a true aquatic. Where do they normally grow?

For those of you that are interested in mosses, you might want to check out the 2008 AGA Convention DVD. One of the speaker had an excellant presentation on mosses, in which he made a comment along the lines that he hoped that people would stop torturing terrestrial mosses by drowning them in water.

My questions would be which of these are aquatic... Taiwan Moss, Christmas Moss, and Java Moss... If all these are I am thinking of getting all three types for my 46 gallon... Any thoughts?

What about the flame moss? Is this a true aquatic? Reason being... and tell me if this isnt cool or what... My buddy has a what I would call a quirky aquarium but I still like it... He has a skull in there and how sweet would it be to put some flame moss on the head to make it have hair... haha anyone done something like this?

I wouldnt want to refer it to him if it wasnt a true aquatic though as it would end up dying and what not but..

Flame Moss is a true aquatic. This is a VERY cool moss, make sure you place it in a good spot, this stuff grows upward and cover up a lot of shorter plants, so try to put it towards the back more, or up higher on driftwood.

Plants from AquaticMagic arrived ok. There was a little bit of brown on the moss, but I suppose that is to be expected after 14 days of shipping. The fissendens was not tied down to a piece of mesh like I expected. I have my doubts as to whether or not it is going to survive.

Well I picked up some java moss from my LFS and it comes out to about two handfuls. I put it in the tank but did not tie it down. It has stayed in the same place and is doing fine Ill post pictures later. It hasnt moved or come off sooo...

Willow moss is another nice moss for tying on driftwood. Depending on the driftwood flame moss might be nice. I finally scored some and am waiting for it to arrive I just put up a 5 gallon today just with that moss in mind. I had my choice between flame and Taiwan moss. Most moss is low light. I usually end up with more java than I know what to do with. Once it starts in a tank it grows like crazy. I hope the same thing happens with the flame moss. I have a few nano tanks I can use it in.

When you tie your moss down... Do you flatten it or do you just put it on and kind of wrap it with the line? In other words do you pancake it or do you let it bush up?

The thinner you can spread it out when you tie it down the better it will grow as it gets more light that way it will thicken up in no time if it has any light at all. With java Moss if it has enough light for you to see it then it will grow.

Back
Top Bottom