mounting frags

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Most corals that "slime" should be mounted with super glue gel since it sets up fast. "Putty" is good to mount hard corals frags to mounting plugs.

Most corals that "slime" should be mounted with super glue gel since it sets up fast. "Putty" is good to mount hard corals frags to mounting plugs.

Should of used the super glue I think do not like the putty too much. I can see it will take practice. How does the glue work?

Are you talking about the superglue from the hardware store? Because the aquarium putty I used was a challenge. I figured I neededto turn off my power head until it set that seemed to help.

TC-2, yeah it is the Super glue "gel" from the hardware store. As far as how much...When you think you have enough, just think then add a little more. You need enough so the glue sticks to the plug and the coral so a little more then you would for two dry pieces. Go to you tube and watch a few videos and you will learn faster that way.

Last edited:
TC-2, yeah it is the Super glue "gel" from the hardware store. As far as how much...When you think you have enough, just think then add a little more. You need enough so the glue sticks to the plug and the coral so a little more then you would for two dry pieces. Go to you tube and watch a few videos and you will learn faster that way.
I assume you can glue pegs in the tank with super glue from the harware store??? I bought frags yesterday, played way to much with the putty...should of drilled more holes in my LR...but didn't...the putty looks tacky in the tank...

Also, ricordeas are a pain to work with. They just slip right out from the super glue. Youll have to use rubber bands or netting to get them to stick to a rock on their own.

Zoanthids seem to stick just fine with the gel. You need to gently push down on the coral for 10seconds or so to get the gel to set. The putty can be very dangerous when used on raw flesh. It gets HOT!

Matt

ok, so let me get this straight I can use regular gel super glue(I have a sliver of LR with star polyps on it. Keeps falling off into abiss...because the putty does get hot and is difficult for me at best. I can try super glue?

Don't worry to much about the puddy looking tacky. It will be cover by the coral or coralline algae in short order.

Last edited:
ok, so let me get this straight I can use regular gel super glue(I have a sliver of LR with star polyps on it. Keeps falling off into abiss...because the putty does get hot and is difficult for me at best. I can try super glue?
Super Glue "GEL". T regualr super glue is to runny.(is there such a word?)

Like a runny nose.

The super glue gel is perfectly safe, as already said, and it dries really quick so you need to put it on, and smush the piece to wherever it is your placing it. Also.. don't use a little dab of the super glue gel either.. this isn't like a paper or plastic application.. everything is being done under water. So you need to put on a nice amount in order for it to stick well.

Back
Top Bottom