Mouth Brooder cichlid holding - Need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steo the great

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey I have a malawi cichild and it's mouth holding. How do I deal with this. Should I divide the tank so it's alone or what is the next step
Any help would be great.

Last edited by a moderator:
I changed your title up a bit - often times help or lack thereof, may have a lot to do with the title you choose.

As far as the question, you have lots of options, ultimately what is it you hope to accomplish? If your simply building stock in your tank, then you can simply leave her be and let nature run its course. Some of the fry will survive in the tank provided you've provided lots of hiddy holes. If on the other hand you want to get maximum survival of the fry with hopes of selling/trading them off in the future, then you want to set up an second tank and move the mother into it. Personally I've never had lot of luck trying to divide or split a tank - once released the fry and tiny and they easily slide under barriers through the gravel or just cross through holes or openings.

Have to agree^^ wonderful info and well put its going to be my second try getting fry this time from mouth brooder so I learned a lot and got a whole new tank just like he said. Gravel can squish fry sand is better for fry tank.

Have to agree^^ wonderful info and well put its going to be my second try getting fry this time from mouth brooder so I learned a lot and got a whole new tank just like he said. Gravel can squish fry sand is better for fry tank.

How exactly does gravel squish fry? I could see this happening if the owner got careless stirring the gravel around, but the fry usually hang out quite happily down in the gravel - it provides them with lots of protected hiding places.

Wy Renegade said:
How exactly does gravel squish fry? I could see this happening if the owner got careless stirring the gravel around, but the fry usually hang out quite happily down in the gravel - it provides them with lots of protected hiding places.

Well they can get stuck and I stirred it one and killed one so im guilty ! Sand looks good too. I got both but I just made a 5G sand for fry so I'm seeing how it goes.

Ok I was looking into keeping the survival rate very high. Just as an exercise to get better the next time. But I don't have a spare smaller tank so I may have to try the divide option and see how it goes from there. And how long does it take before the mother releases?

Thanks for the help
And also the help in the renaming.

Steo the great said:
Ok I was looking into keeping the survival rate very high. Just as an exercise to get better the next time. But I don't have a spare smaller tank so I may have to try the divide option and see how it goes from there. And how long does it take before the mother releases?

Thanks for the help
And also the help in the renaming.

7-10 days till they hatch. When the mother releases can vary.

Hey again peeps. I just make a makeshift tank from a 30 liter bucket I had added in a heater and filter. And the mother instantly released about 20 babies.

Shoul I move the mother back to the main tank or leave them with the mother.

Any help please and thanks

Steo the great said:
Hey again peeps. I just make a makeshift tank from a 30 liter bucket I had added in a heater and filter. And the mother instantly released about 20 babies.

Shoul I move the mother back to the main tank or leave them with the mother.

Any help please and thanks

You could do both but the mother won't do anything and congrats!

The babies are swimming around quite freely now. Do I have to feed them?

Tomorrow I'm gonna buy a small fry tank for inside my large tank.

Again thanks for the help.

Steo the great said:
The babies are swimming around quite freely now. Do I have to feed them?

Tomorrow I'm gonna buy a small fry tank for inside my large tank.

Again thanks for the help.

Wait at least 24hours because they will be eating yolk sac.

Ok there doesn't seem to be any around the fish I think the mother was holding until it was alone away from trouble.

Could they get caught in my filter.

Steo the great said:
Ok there doesn't seem to be any around the fish I think the mother was holding until it was alone away from trouble.

Could they get caught in my filter.

I would put nylon or sponge over your filter so they don't get sucked up. Any what around the fish? She probably did away from others she can hold till she feels safe.

Fishie said:
I would put nylon or sponge over your filter so they don't get sucked up. Any what around the fish? She probably did away from others she can hold till she feels safe.

Doesn't seem to be anything around the fish there just like clear in colour except for an orange part below there eyes and that's all

I put my net around the filter now and elasticated it haha.

:)

Steo the great said:
Doesn't seem to be anything around the fish there just like clear in colour except for an orange part below there eyes and that's all

I put my net around the filter now and elasticated it haha.

:)

Haha you won't see the egg sac though and will be clear and gain color in 20 days.

Fishie said:
Haha you won't see the egg sac though and will be clear and gain color in 20 days.

There almost like tad poles there not in egg form like? Haha I'm brand new to the raising fry. So I might sound very stupid hahaha.

Steo the great said:
There almost like tad poles there not in egg form like? Haha I'm brand new to the raising fry. So I might sound very stupid hahaha.

It's all cool we were all noobies at one point! They aren't supper to be egg form... Forget about egg sac..

Fishie said:
It's all cool we were all noobies at one point! They aren't supper to be egg form... Forget about egg sac..

Hahaha ok. Thanks for the patience. I might. Or be able to get to a fish shop till Tuesday to get fry food would they be ok with new life spectrum food??
Tomorrow is st Patrick's day and here in ireland I don't think any shops open lol

Steo the great said:
Hahaha ok. Thanks for the patience. I might. Or be able to get to a fish shop till Tuesday to get fry food would they be ok with new life spectrum food??
Tomorrow is st Patrick's day and here in ireland I don't think any shops open lol

You could just crush up flake food or if not that crushed up egg yolk.

Fishie said:
You could just crush up flake food or if not that crushed up egg yolk.

Ok I have some flake food might just crush that up.
Thanks alot again hopefully all goes well now.

Back
Top Bottom