Moved into a house with this!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishturtle

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So recently moved house and the rented house comes with a fish tank. It's about 4-5 foot across. There's no heater (is one needed?) and there's an big Oscar, pleccy, another cichlid and a long necked soft shell turtle. I know it needs a stronger filter as at the moment it has two internal ones which clog up in 2 days. we have purchased an external one but is there anything we need to know? Can I take the lid off one side so the light comes into the room? The bulbs aren't protected, they're just hanging underneath the tank lid (above water level). TIA

I'd make the priority right now to get rid of that turtle. It has no place in that tank.

I agree, turtles have a big bioload and can bite chunks out of fish, and most need some kind of land....

As to the filters, just add the new one. The other ones are probably getting clogged up because of all the fish waste, Oscars and turtles produce s lot of poop!

I'd recommend getting a heater, they are all tropical fish and the water should be around 78F.

As to the lights, I think you answered you're own question, it sounds dangerous leaving it above the humidity above the tank. Can you post a picture of this? Maybe it's missing something...

Softshell turtles get 2 feet across and have a very strong bite like a snapping turtle. They are capable of removing a diget and their neck allows them to reach back to their back feet and beyond. Their diet in the wild is fish and anything else they can catch. We have them living in our back yard in Fla About the only thing they get along with are the alligators when they get big. I agree they do not belong in a tank with fish, unless the tank is the size of a huge swimming pool. Lucky you moving into a house with a big tank. Oscars are very personable fish . once they get to know you, like fishy puppy dogs. Alison

Back
Top Bottom