Moving 55 into 100

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ljk09

Aquarium Advice Freak
I may very well be upgrading my 55g up to a 100g this weekend. How can't do this without crashing my cycle? I might just cycle the 100 g and leave the 55 alone. I'm not sure how to do this 'safely'. Any suggestions?

I would use some filter media from your 55g filter. That's the surest way to cycle your new tank.

If you intend to run the same filter on the 100G you should avoid any cycle. However on the scenario you'll be upgrading all you need to do is run the old filter in conjunction with the new filter for a month or so before disconnecting it. When you disconnect the old filter you'll go through a mini-cycle but on the condition you do regular water changes and tests over a few days you'll be fine.

He said that he may want to leave the 55g alone though. I thought that meant he was going to leave it up.

Laser said:
He said that he may want to leave the 55g alone though. I thought that meant he was going to leave it up.

Right. If its too much of a risk, I'll just leave it be. Although I'd like to have the big tank where the 55 is.
(I'm female by the way ;) )

I think most people on here assume everyone's a guy. I mean that's what I do unless I can tell by their profile picture or by their name.

Must have missed that. Best advice is just buy a new filter and fish less cycle the new tank then :)

Hi there, I did the same thing, upgraded from a 55g to a 90g. I moved everything from the old tank into the new one except the gravel, I changed to sand. I am now going trough a mini cycle!!! and my discus are starting to get very stressed, I have done a daily 30% water changed since last Friday. One of my Discus have a gill compleatly shut down and the others are just hidding, they also dart and scratch some times.

Here are my tank readings

Ammonia 0.25
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 15-20
Temp 88

Please help don't know what to do. Especially with the gill shut discus.

Asahmkow said:
Hi there, I did the same thing, upgraded from a 55g to a 90g. I moved everything from the old tank into the new one except the gravel, I changed to sand. I am now going trough a mini cycle!!! and my discus are starting to get very stressed, I have done a daily 30% water changed since last Friday. One of my Discus have a gill compleatly shut down and the others are just hidding, they also dart and scratch some times.

Ammonia 0.25
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 15-20
Temp 88

88????

Well it's 30 c I don't know the conversion to farenheigh sorry

Temp is okay for Discus, probably just stressed with the move, I would leave the lights off for a day or two and let them settle in.

Ammonia 0.25
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 15-20
Temp 88

Not much you can do now, just maintain constant water changes. Shouldn't take long.

In the future with sensitive fish such as discus if it is possible a fishless cycle should be done in the other tank to establish it first.

Back
Top Bottom