moving a tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
To move from house to house:

Put fish and filter media in buckets of tank water
Drain remaining water
Remove decor
Remove substrate
Get two people to lift tank to ground
Move stand
Transport everything to new location
Relocate tank on stand
Add substrate and decor
Replace water
Bring tank up to temp
Acclimate fish and add

To move from room to room you might be able to get away with emptying the tank nearly all the way and sliding the tank and stand together to the new position.

Ive moved four tanks before from house to house, but i also had a pick up truck so this might of been an advantage. so i removed all decorations plants ect. I kept tanks full and sealed with a garbage bag, duct tape, and rubber bands. They were in the back of the truck so a little spillage was ok. It was a 20min ride and only one tanks seal gave and lost a couple gallons but all fish were ok. I did also have the tanks strapped down and secure in the bed of my truck.

Mumma.of.two said:
To move from house to house:

Put fish and filter media in buckets of tank water
Drain remaining water
Remove decor
Remove substrate
Get two people to lift tank to ground
Move stand
Transport everything to new location
Relocate tank on stand
Add substrate and decor
Replace water
Bring tank up to temp
Acclimate fish and add

To move from room to room you might be able to get away with emptying the tank nearly all the way and sliding the tank and stand together to the new position.

It's room to room but bedroom to dining room

I've moved a 38 gallon aquarium from one room to another a couple times. I put the fish in a plastic cooler with an airstone running and a couple bunches of plastic plants floating in there for some security. The nice thing about a cooler is you can close the lid so the fish won't jump out. Then I removed most of the water, saving a bunch in buckets, and when there's very little water left I got a strong friend to help me move the stand and tank very slowly across the floor (lifting a very little, moving a few inches, repeat ad nauseum). Take your time. When it's in the new place, get everything set up and water back in. Fish go in last - they're a bit panicked by this time so they go in and don't get bothered again.

Try to get out as much water as possible. Not only is it heavy, when you move the tank the water moves around, splashes, and the waves create sudden pressure on sides and corners, which could have unpleasant results. I've always left the substrate in, but it is heavy so removing it will be more work but easier to move the tank.

Take your time and things will go well.

Back
Top Bottom