Moving a tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquazen

Aquarium Advice Freak
I may be moving to a new locale in a few months. I will probably end up taking down the low light tank and removing the gravel, plants, hardware, etc. I was wondering what to do with the fish. I wish I could take them with me, but I don't think they would survive an extended drive to another state.

What is your experience with this? Any ideas and suggestions are welcome.

I know of a number of members who have done this. Hopefully they will chime in. It would help if you identify your stock and your tank size in the post.

Thanks for directing me to the article. It should do nicely. I don't plan on moving for a few more months. I'm still waiting to see what happens between now and next year. A lot of things change.

Thanks again for the help.

hey i moved from california to north carolina (with my fish in tow) it can be done

this was in the last few months

all i did was got three of the big ole tubs ice cream comes in at the wall-mart(enjoyed cleaning them out a very good bit let me mention) then placed these containers in a large black trash bag inside of a cooler and got one of the battery powered air things (the cool one you can plug into the wall and when the power goes out it kicks on never needed it yet for that but still thought that it was cool) anyways that was it. dont feed them during or the day before the trip. But my fish are still fine and drove with them in the car for 5 days.
good luck

Those 5-gal pickle tubs worked fine for me. . . for longer trips (more than an hour) you may want to dose with some sort of ammo-rid or something, seeing as how any feces will build up very quick in that confined environment. Not feeding is a good idea too.
Also try to transport fish seperately if possible. Especially semi-aggressive or terratorial ones. . .

I have moved my fish more times than I can count. Being a college student I move a minimum of twice a year (at the end of the school year, at the end of the summer) and have had my fish every time for 4 years now. I'll give you my tips.

First off, DO NOT move the tank itself with any water in it. The sloshing around can and will break your seals.

All I did was buy a styrofoam cooler at the dollar store (for a dollar! :) ). I then used 1 large black trash bag to line it, and 2 smaller white trash bags to split the cooler into 2. I put my puffer in 1 side, and my columbian sharks in the other. I hooked up my air pump (that I already had) and used a T splitter ($0.99) and 2 air stones ($0.99) to oxygenate the water. I plugged the air pump into an inverter (I already had but can be found for $14, and has many more uses than this one) and voila, my fish were good to go.

I have taken them on: (4) 6 hour drives, (6) 3 hour drives, and (4) 1 hour drives. I've never had any problems!

Good luck!
-brent

PS- In order to make your tank(s) instant cycle (or at least mini-cycle) when you set it back up, make SURE to store all gravel and plants/decorations and especially your filter and biowheel (if you have one) in water. I did this by putting them all into ziplocks filled with water but they tend to leak so you can use whatever. The biowheel should be wrapped in a wet paper towel. This is a very important step in the moving process! Also, depending on the size of your tank(s) it can be beneficial to take some of the water. Say 5 gallons or so. The water itself doesn't hold much bacteria but incase the water where you are going to is much different, it can help in the transition. I did this by just buying distilled water and dumping it out and using the gallon jugs it comes in. I have had an instant cycle every single move.

These have all been great. Thanks a bunch. I don't exactly know where I will be in a few months, but it will be at least a 6-9 hour drive in any direction. :)

when i moved across state, i filled a large cooler with aquarium water and place all the fish in there and some gravel an several decorations just to boot. pack all the other decorations and left the gravel and undergravel filters all in the tank. didnt loose any.

When my husband and I moved last winter over two days in -30F (reference -40F =-40C) temps. It was cold, but we kept the fish alive (and the cats, and the birds). You can do it and we'll be here to help plan it out :D

So, all I really need is one of those styro coolers you buy at the groceries or the dollar store and a battery operated air pump. Sweet. :) Thanks to everyone for sharing their experience.

Remmeber to keep as much of your original aquaruim water as possible and place the fish where the wont rock around a lot.

Dan :)

Back
Top Bottom