Moving an aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lauramichelle

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just trying to think ahead. I rent, so there is always the possibility of having to move. One reason I only went with a 20 gal. So if I moved across town or from Florida to Texas, would I need to cycle my tank again? How would I transport my coral? Thank you

Transport in a bucket. It would be possible to go from Florida to Texas...I mean I get coral, fish, and inverts sent to me from the other side of the country. If they can survive that trip overnight, why not be able to survive any other trip? If you have enough water to avoid it going ammonia toxic from their waste and keeping the water warm.

The across town trip would be easier obviously as it would be less stressful on your critters. Minimizing stress is the key. So, keeping it warm, ammonia free, and reducing as much "sloshing" around as possible will keep your critters happy and healthy.

You will just need to keep your filter media in tank water for the trip :)
And substrate if possible.

Oh I see. So the lv rock and live sand, along with the filter should be enough then correct?

I doubt you'd get a cycle if you keep your live rock and sand covered in water. Once you set up your new system, I'd use all new water and get rid of all the old. When moving your tank and removing your rocks, there is going to be a lot of detritus around the base of your rock. You're not going to want this stuff in your new location.

I moved from rental 3 years ago. I moved from 90 to a temporary 55 kept rocks wet and used new water. Saw no ammonia spike. Therefore no cycle. The fish and coral stayed in temp 55 gal in kitchen for 2 months while I built in wall 90 system. Moved again. New sand new water. Moved rock in first then fish and coral following morning. No cycle again. Lost 1 Anthia in this whole process. Orange stripe Anthia. Oh yeah it was a 40 min drive from old house to new house. Used mainly old salt buckets. Did move inside 12 hours and kept fish and coral heated and pump in bucket right up until left old house and that was first bucket in new house and plugged heat and pump back in. I'd say total time in bucket had to be 4 hours or so. Make sure you plan it out. That is key!!

I just moved my 125 I emptied the water then put the live rock in that water then I slowly filled the tank back up while putting the lr back in the tank it worked out very well it's been 2 weeks and never saw a spike in my numbers an the waters crystal clear and everyone's doing great just plan it out and make sure you have enough containers I saved all the water because I removed the water first. But I only moved it about an hour away the total move from beginning to end took about 9 hours but that's even hooking up the pumps and everything

Back
Top Bottom