Moving...AND upgrading from a 60 to 125 gal.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Magnus

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey everyone...

I'm moving soon...we take possession of our new house November 26, so the move will happen that week-end (for the most part). I am also planning on getting a new 125 gallon tank to put into the new house.

I read a few previous threads on how to transport my LR, fish and water, using either rubbermaid totes, buckets, coolers or combo's of both. It isn't too far away, so distance and time isn't an issue.

My question is this: Can I add new base rock to the 125 gallon, as well as 75% new substrate to it, and then add the rest of my LR and maybe a half inch of sand to the new tank, including the old (current) water? Or will this create a problem for my tank critters?

The main thing to be careful of is getting the new base rock cured before you add it. I assume you're planning to add quite a bit based on the difference in tank sizes, so it's really critical the rock be fully cured before you mix it with all your live stuff, else you could get a huge ammonia spike and you know what that leads too.

I'm not sure that only having a month between now and the move is sufficient to make sure the rock gets cured, it depends on the state of the rock you acquire.

Personally, I think if it were me I'd setup the 125 at the new house, and cure the rock in the tank with all new substrate. Also I'd setup the old 60g tank at the new place, temporarily, until the 125 is ready to go. This of course assumes you have room to accommodate 2 tanks for a month or two while the 125 gets ready.

I think that's what we're going to end up doing anyway...we need a lot more components for the new 125 anyway, and cash won't be in great supply, so I think I'll be doing exactly what you said, then slowly xfer everything to the new tank once it's set up.

Back
Top Bottom