moving filter? new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cali

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Which part of the filter should I take from neighbour's tank to help with my new one? He has the same filter as I - there is a carbon part that is black plastic on one side, blue filtery stuff on the other and a small one in front that has white thick threadish kind of stuff. Do I take both? Just one part? I have to cycle with fish 'cause I have seen no pure amonia around here (and I have an anaphalactic allergy to shrimp!). I will have a seeded filter and start very slowly. My tank will only have tetras (black phantoms) and I was going to start with 3. They are very tiny. Thanks for any advice.

The blue foam part of the cartridge is what you want from there. Make sure during the transfer you keep it wet, as if it dries out the bacteria you want will die. The longer it's been on you neighbors tank, the better.

He has the same filter as I - there is a carbon part that is black plastic on one side, blue filtery stuff on the other and a small one in front that has white thick threadish kind of stuff.
All of it if you can get it.Just offer to replace it all.The more the better imo.He'll save a few bucks and won't notice a thing in his tank.

DO keep it wet in declorinated water though.

Make sure your tank is dechlorinated,make sure the heater works well and holds your set point (over at least a days time).Add the wet media and add a few fish.
Test daily until your sure you are golden and enjoy!

Okay, thank you both for your replies. I will wait until I can get the fish to move the filters etc... That's right? Put them in at the same time?

You got it!...but just a two or three small fish.

This is how people with tanks start new tanks.Works great!

Agreed... you should be able to cycle your tank in a matter of days, IME. I've done this many times myself. Still, you'll need to keep a test kit handy, because this method isn't always instant, and you may find that you will have to do a few water changes along the way. It will be really easy though. The easiest way, like Fatz said, is to get everything ready first. Then you can go to your friend's place, pick up the filter cartridge, bag it, and grab the fish on the way home. Then you can pop the cartridge in your filter and acclimate your fish at the same time.

That's great. Thank you all! Now I just have to wait for my tetras to finish their ich treatment in the store. long story but lost our 1st 3 a few weeks ago 2 1/2 days after bringing them home. Turns out they had ich but it wasn't visible until the more than 12hrs after we got them. By then the store was treating the tank and not selling. I don't think it was the ich that did them in tho. I had all my water tests except pH -because I knew that ours was 6.8 out of the tap but didn't know that it could change in the tank. So I was changing water alot and putting 6.8 water into a tank that was at 8. I guess that would be extemely stressful for 3 tiny fish that weren't in good health. So I'm really nervous abt. trying again and want to make sure I'm doing it right!

Back
Top Bottom