Moving fish & tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

guppy grandma

Aquarium Advice Regular
Can't you tell I'm new! I have somehow managed to buy 2 pre-used tanks(only wanted 1) 1 with 3 fantail goldfish and stuff which has to be transported approx 40 miles. I will be bringing approx 30ltr of their own water with them in a separate container. Once I have refilled the tank, can I put the fish straight back?

The other one (the 1 I really wanted) has no fish, but loads of stuff, gravel, ornaments etc. I am planning to start off with guppies, the tank had tropical fish previously. Can I re-use the original stuff? I dont want to get it wrong as I am dealing with living creatures. Help please-:fish1:

Last edited:
guppy grandma said:
Can't you tell I'm new! I have somehow managed to buy 2 pre-used tanks(only wanted 1) 1 with 3 fantail goldfish and stuff which has to be transported approx 40 miles. I will be bringing approx 30ltr of their own water with them in a separate container. Once I have refilled the tank, can I put the fish straight back?

The other one (the 1 I really wanted) has no fish, but loads of stuff, gravel, ornaments etc. I am planning to start off with guppies, the tank had tropical fish previously. Can I re-use the original stuff? I dont want to get it wrong as I am dealing with living creatures. Help please-:fish1:

When introducing Ur goldfish back into the tank, acclimate them! Drip acclimation is the way to go!
Here's a link that teaches u how to drip acclimate
http://www.liveaquaria.com/general/general.cfm?general_pagesid=19
May I ask how big is Ur goldfish tank?

Yes u can use the old items provided that u give them a good clean. Most ornament and gravel u can boil them and they will be good to go. If u have old filter and heater give soak them in hot water, aquarium salt and dechlorinator ( that's how I do it).

Thank you, Thank you

Hi Hubert90, thank you for the advice, I will follow.

The tank is 60ltrs

May I add, I have a very dear 95year old friend called Hubert and I named my guinea pig after him.:thanks:

guppy grandma said:
Hi Hubert90, thank you for the advice, I will follow.

The tank is 60ltrs

May I add, I have a very dear 95year old friend called Hubert and I named my guinea pig after him.:thanks:

Ahahaha! Nice to know someone out there is also named hubert :) I'm always happy to help. :)

Back
Top Bottom