Moving fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msingerman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but alas, I can't find anything on it.

I am moving in about a week. I will be staying in the same city (in fact, only moving about three blocks away). I have a 55 gallon freshwater tank with various community fish (mostly varieties of tetras and guppies), totalling about 30 fish. What is the best and most practical method of moving my fellas?

What I am thinking of doing is buying a few cheap styrofoam coolers, lining them with garbage bags or something similiar, filling them with tank water and putting the fish in them, then emptying the tank, move it, set it up, get it running and filter fresh water through is for 2-3 hours, then remove enough to allow the water from the coolers to fit in, then slowly readd fish/water. Does that sound okay?

That should work, if at all possible add an airstone to the coolers to keep water circulating. Also keep your filter media wet so as to not kill off the beneficial bacteria. Good luck with the move. I am moving in the spring and have 10 tanks to move, including a 125 & 75 gal!

I have a similar size tank and had a similar move myself.

If you can help it move your tank last if you can. When I moved, I did all my furniture, etc. on a Saturday so I could focus my energy on my fish that Sunday. I filled a 5 gallon bucket with tank water and cut a 1'' hole in the lid that came with it so I could place a battery operated airator through the top. Your fish will be fine for as long as you need them to be, just as long as you keep them in a climate controlled environment. I put all my plants and filter media in a second 5 gal bucket with a little bit of tank water to keep the bacteria alive and well. Empty your tank completely (water, decor, and equip) and enlist a strong friend or two to help with the heavy lifting. Good luck!

Thank you for the article, it is very helpful.

I am planning on moving everything else and getting it all somewhat settled, with the area for the tank clearly demarcated, then move the tank and fish last. I may invest in a few more five-gallon buckets before making this move.

I have a 29, so this may not work for you. I moved in the same city, too.

My lfs gave me some boxes that their fish get shipped in. They are boxes lined in styrofoam.

I put my fish in those using my tank water. The extra boxes I moved with only some more of my tank water. I drained the tank down as low as I could and I let me pictus and my pleco take a ride in the car like that in the tank. I was going to take them out and I tried, but I thought the ride would be less stressful than the chase i was putting them through. Those plecos are strong.

No deaths. Not one. I really didn't know if I was doing the right thing at the time, but I pulled it off somehow.

Hi all,

I moved the fish with no problems and everyone survived the trip. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom