moving from HARD water to softish water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phoenixphire55

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm moving from an area where the water is extremely hard and alkaline to Denver where the water is medium 7.5 to 8.5 and the water ranges from soft to moderately hard at different times of the year. What is this going to do to my fish / frogs? I know moving animals from hard to soft water is more dangerous than soft to hard. Will I have to supplement the water with some kind of hardener? Any additional advice?

Well when you get there do a slow drip acclimation. Also whats your current PH? I dont think 8.5 is considered medium, thats pretty high, mines is 8.0. The LFS uses the same tap water for all the tanks except for discus.

Normally you dont want to mess with the ph with chemicals, they are just a crash waiting to happen. Most that choose to alter the PH use natural things: peat to lower and crushed coral to raise PH.

i keep adf frogs in very soft water. the printed sites say they like harder, but they are 2 years old and going strong.

Worst case scenario...your corys may spawn. There really isn't a problem going from hard water to soft water but vice versa isn't true at all.

Back
Top Bottom