moving help??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jbudda13

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok so I suddenly am having to relocate I have a 125g tank and will be moving only about 10 min away but my biggest worries are how to safely move all my fish without losing any. I have a canister filter and i know I need to keep that stuff wet. How much water do I need to take with me and best way to transport the fish?? I currently live on the 4th floor with no elevator so i need to totally empty the tank before moving. Suggestion please as i am only 2 months into the project. Note I have about 25/30 fish and have spent a pretty penny on them all. Thanks guys for any input!! :eek: :'(

what about pakcing up as if u were going to ship them? this was pretty good for advice but there are way better sites out there: Shipping Tropical Fish
then they are safe for the journey. personally id do something like this.

with the water, what about getting a large sealable water drum or bucket to carry maybe 20 gallons
pack the fish
pack the filter as if it was a fish ;)
then take some big rubbermaid containers or basic plastic toy boxes and collect maybe 50 gallons? 60? from the tank, remove the rest of the water
then move the 125 to the new house where its going and put the first drum/bucket of water in
then each time u get some more stuff moved to the new house, bring some of the water from the containers to get some of the old water in there so the fish are kept happiest
fill to the top then add in the fish, voila?

this is hypothetical, a possibility. rubbish advice or a good tip, i hope it has some good input xx

Yea sounds great that was along the same thoughts of mine. Just so happens I'm one if those guys where thinga seem so easy and sound so simple but for some reason never really work out that way. Lol oh well. Well just being honest I am worried suck about something going wrong. Ugh. I will b devastated.

tbh, i am NOT reccomending this, when we moved this year i only had about 5 small fish. i had them in a water proof washbag full of their tank water! the bag went in a covered bucket, but my friends thought the pics were funny when i shown them the proof of the 'baggy fish' lol. bearing in mind the drive was 3 mins away and none of these fish were over 3 in, all survived.

i hope it will work. what were u planning? xx

Well I have access to many 5 gallon buckets so i was gonna take the water in that and probably a few fish in some buckets also. Keeping them appropriately seperated but I dunno gonna keep asking. Possibly c if my lfs has any good advice and or be able to help me with some equipt. As he also does personal tank care for commercial and private places soooo??? Hope fully with all the loot I have spent with him he can help!!

yeah! my lfs does a holiday scheme, u send them there and they look afret them for a week to a few months. u could ask him to do that for like 3 days while its all getting set up?

I recently moved multiple tanks. One 75 discus and a 75 sw. For discus I kept filters wet and put them in buckets and the sw i moved all the water in buckets. I moved 30 mins away with no issues just use the lids when you pour water back in to no disturb substrate that is the key IMO

Back
Top Bottom