moving my aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

janeth0185

Aquarium Advice Regular
well im gonna be moving in 2 months and i was wondering if when i arrive to setup my tank again will it cause a mini cycle? im moving from kansas all the way to miami florida so its gonna take us about 3 days to get there.what can i do to avoid causing a mini cycle when i put my fish in it again once im home.and do i leave the filter and heater in the tank whiile i move.im trying not to kill any good bacteria i got allready

Ditto. We are moving to Denver at the beginning of next year. Would be great to get some info on how to do this best.

The beneficial bacteria responsible for converting ammonia and nitrites are aerobic bacteria, meaning they need oxygenated water to survive. Since its relatively warm still, you won't have to worry about a heater. I would, however, get a battery powered airstone to oxygenate the water the filter media and some gravel is being transported in. You can place everything (some siphoned out tank water, submerged gravel, filter media, and the sponges) in a bucket with the airstone. I would try to cover the top with some plastic wrap secured with tape or large rubberband to prevent spillage. Get everything setup as soon as you arrive to your new place.

Although... Come to think about it, 3 days "might" be okay to transport the beneficial bacteria without depleting all the oxygen. Although I'm uncertain. The battery powered air pump is only $10 on Amazon (by Hagen). Or you can whisk the water every few hours to get the surface aggregated for oxygen exchange... LOL (i think the battery powered way sounds more attractive).

The beneficial bacteria responsible for converting ammonia and nitrites are aerobic bacteria, meaning they need oxygenated water to survive. Since its relatively warm still, you won't have to worry about a heater. I would, however, get a battery powered airstone to oxygenate the water the filter media and some gravel is being transported in. You can place everything (some siphoned out tank water, submerged gravel, filter media, and the sponges) in a bucket with the airstone. I would try to cover the top with some plastic wrap secured with tape or large rubberband to prevent spillage. Get everything setup as soon as you arrive to your new place.

the problem is we moving in the winter..it maybe december or january so its going to be cold.im already buying certain things to transport my fish so i cant buy stuff for the tank itself.the water in the tank will become cold if i leave some water in it. i guess if when i set up my tank again if it causes a mini cycle ill try my best to not let it harm my fish.im just scared to lose any fish in the drive.but ill see what happens

What size tank? How many fish?

10 gallon and 5 fish.1 dwarf gourami and 2 julli corys and 2 panda corys.ive been told to transport my fish in a bucket with heater packs attached ( due to the winter), and to buy a battery powered air pump. im just scared after i set up my tank to cause a mini cycle and go thru all the process again. the move is pretty long:(

Well Florida doesn't get freezing.. I think the beneficial bacteria will survive in a bucket of siphoned tank water.. Just stick your bio media and sponge in there at the very least. Bacteria will survive as long as the temp doesn't drop below 32°F according to http://onedersave.com/blog/497/take-good-care-of-nitrifying-bacteria-in-the-aquarium/

If you're that worried about a mini cycle, add a small bottle of tetra safe start once the aquarium is re-setup.

Yeah I think it will be fine.. If you have a outlet in your car, then just the heater and others.. And I agree with Brian it dosen't get as cold as you may think down here

I just got done moving. Everything Brian said is correct. I just moved across town though so I didn't have that far of a move. All I did was place anything that was inside the tank in a bucket of water from the tank. I also left enough water in the bottom of my tank so that I could still pick it up. I will say I didn't realize how much gunk was in my sand until it all got moved around during the move lol.

Back
Top Bottom