Moving my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

e_murray

Aquarium Advice Freak
Anyone have any advice, I am moving my 100 over to my empty 125. I almost have my rodi water made and I plan to move it this afternoon or tomorrow.

I am probably over thinking this.

I plan to put my LR into a 50 gallon tub of tank water.

Catch all the fish and put into a 5 gal bucket.

Scoop up the sand in a large fish net and add on top of the sand in the other tank, making a semi decent sand bed. Maybe 1" deep.

Fill it up, Add the rock back..

Add the fish back..

I am not expecting mini cycles am I, I am using all the same stuff just putting into a larger tank...

Anyone have input?

If you use your old sand you very likely will have a mini cycle or some spikes. Mucking up the sandbed when you move it will release all sorts of nasties. You could either A: rinse the old sand really well and add or B: just get more new sand.

I have never moved my old sand from tank to tank to avoid any spikes and other issues.

I don't think you're overthinking it at all. I would try to save as much water from the old tank as possible, only to minimiuze any chemical differences between the old tank and the new. I'd use a powerhead in the tub with the LR to keep some circulation and maybe an airstone in the bucket with the fish. What kind of fish do you have and how large? It might be a good investment to pick up a "muck bucket" from Home Depot to give the fish some more room while you're moving things over. They cost about $6 and will get you about 15 gallons of water and a LOT more surfacec area to promote gas exchange.

Word of advice though, DON'T try to pick one up full of water by the handles. Last time I did, the handle broke and I ended up with about 10 gallons of freshly made saltwater all over my floor. I now place it at my tank and fill it with a 5 gallon bucket to pump water back to the tank. Also, double check the point where the plastic went into the mold. I had a new one crack right there at the "button" leaking my RO water once. (Actually, the same day as the handle breaking on an old one. One heckuva day!) I chalk it up to bad luck, but other than thoise two events, I've been using these for years with no other failures for mixing water or transporting live rock when I move.

Good to know Carey! Thanks! Rinse it is.
I will have plenty of Bacteria all over everything else right?

What about all the worms and stuff that live in the sansbed?

Holy cow what a job this was! It took all freakin day yesterday!

No casualties yet.. Everything is looking good. And my RODI filter came the day before so yeay I have good water now!

Hopefully that will nip my hair algea in the butt.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom