Moving & Need Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

codyl1121

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
OK, so I am moving to a house about 5 minutes from where I live now and having a hard time figuring out what to do. I bought a 1 gallon tank today thinking that would be ok but my fish keeping instincts clicked in. Here is what fish I currently have.

11 Platy Fry (Not newborn a few months old, but still small)
1 Adult Platy
4 Neons
1 Pleco
1 Guppy

My original plan was:
1. Net the fish out and put them into a 1 gallon.
2. Siphon 3/4 of the water into a few buckets to hold their tank water.
3. Carry the buckets of tank water to the car
4. Carry the tank with 1/4 of water, substrate, plants, decorations to the car carefully.
5. Carry and hold the fish as a passenger.
6. Re-siphon tank water back in
7. Put fish back in tank.

This will take at least 45 minutes and maybe 60 minutes at the most. Will all of these fish be ok in a 1 gallon tank for an hour at the most? Any help would be greatly appreciated :

A one gallon seems very "squishy" for all those fish. Even for a short time. You may want to look into a bucket with a lid instead. (They sell them at Home Depot) the fish will be less stressed if they can't see and the lid well it's pretty self explanatory. Just my two cents.

A one gallon seems very "squishy" for all those fish. Even for a short time. You may want to look into a bucket with a lid instead. (They sell them at Home Depot) the fish will be less stressed if they can't see and the lid well it's pretty self explanatory. Just my two cents.

I appreciate it :) I think I'm actually going to buy Home Depot's 5 gallon bucket! Should I poke holes in the lid?

Lets try this again..for some reason my phone keeps saying its "timed out"
I wouldn't poke holes in it. Just put the lid on before you transport and when you arrive there take it off once they're inside. Also once you get the tank set back up you may want to keep the lights off just to give them some settling time.

Lets try this again..for some reason my phone keeps saying its "timed out"
I wouldn't poke holes in it. Just put the lid on before you transport and when you arrive there take it off once they're inside. Also once you get the tank set back up you may want to keep the lights off just to give them some settling time.

Thanks for the help. Just one more question. Should I fill the bucket about 3/4 of the way?

:thanks:

I'd fill it to about an inch or two from the top. The more water the more room plus you'll have the lid to prevent spillage.

Back
Top Bottom