Moving our comets to a pond

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Onefish_Twofish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Some advice needed

A while back we were gifted 4 comets in a small glass bowl. I know. We've been holding on to them - they are in a much bigger aquarium but we realised almost immediately that we will have to move them out to a pond. Fortunately my dad has a nice big planted pond that already contains some comets. He says they live there pretty much on their own; he does not even feed them.

So we want to move the comets out into this pond. How much should we worry about the transition? They've been living in an indoor tank, water pH bang on 7, and not that cold (this is South Africa, and we have been going through a warm summer); the pond gets a bit of direct sun for part of the time; I don't know what the pH is. I understand fish don't deal well with sudden water and temperature changes. Any advice for the transition?

thanks!

Thank you for taking good care of your pets! There are some really good acclimation guides. I'm not the best resource myself, but they are out there.

When it comes to transferring goldfish from indoors to outdoors, the best time to do it is on a warm day.

If the pH from your indoor setup is different to your outdoor setup, I would recommend drip acclimation.

I have done this many times with no ill effect by ensuring the above 2 things (pH & temperature) were slowly changed.

Back
Top Bottom