moving plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keeper

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Is there any special way to move plants around in a tank. I currently have a 5.5gal planted and want to add some more plants and at the same time move others around. Is there a safe way to do this so that I don't damage the plant too much.

Thanks

Pick them straight up. I was surprised when I pulled up some of my Rotala Indica. It felt kinda snug when I was pulling on it, and apparently so, it has a whole bush full of roots. Maybe they don't like it, but it didn't kill them. I just plunked it back down in the gravel. I guess if you wanted to be "careful" you could gently sweep back the substrate surrounding the roots and all that. I wouldn't waste time doing that though.

very carefully. sometimes i grab the soil around it to try keeping the root ball in tact. they may looks scruffy for a few days, but if you leave most of the roots connected to the plant, they'll do fine.

good advice so far. stem plants like moneywort and bacopa usually don't form huge root balls...but cabomba can form a ball the size of your fist.

as long as you're gentle you shouldn't have problems

just one more thing...if i'm doing alot of moving around in the tank, should I remove the fish while I am doing it. I don't want to cause too much stress for them!

If I have to pull up plants I usually do it with the gravel vac going to pull out all the mulm and stuff so it doesn't foul the tank to much. Since I have flourite as a substrate, things can get pretty muddy if it is stirred up.

actually, netting and moving all the fish will stress them more than your hands being in there longer than normal with some cloudy water. they'll be a little freaked, but they're used to their surroundings in the tank, and the cloudiness won't hurt them.

Agreed, leave the fish in the tank, unless you are doing this to try to re-establish territories, that's about the only reason I'd take them out.

Back
Top Bottom