Moving shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giffmastaflex

Aquarium Advice Freak
I want to move my shrimp from my 20 gal to a 5.5 gal. What is the easiest way to do this? I have about 60-70 shrimp of all different sizes.

I've moved mine a couple of time and soon again. I used a medium bowl and dipped it into the tank they are moving into for water. Then I started netting them up and putting them into the bowl. Once I had a good amount caught I put the bowl into the new tank and they all went back to life as usual.

Baiting a net repeatedly with small pieces of algae wafer or other food usually works for the bulk of them. After that it is all about catching the stragglers.

I heard of people using a water bottle cut in half and turned in on itself to help capture them. I'm going to try to do that I'll let you know how that works

I heard of people using a water bottle cut in half and turned in on itself to help capture them. I'm going to try to do that I'll let you know how that works
I've heard the same thing! I'm going to stick some algae wafers in a bottle and hopefully all the shrimp and snails will be in there an hour later:)

Update, after removing all deco's from the tank I was able to successfully net 5 Amano and move them, not as hard as I thought it would be, 2 nets really helped.

Were there only 5 shrimp in the tank? I'm going to attempt mine tomorrow afternoon I think or maybe Thursday. I just filled my 5 gal today and going to let the water get to the right temp. Then when I move the shrimp I'm going to move the filter as well that way it will be all cycled

Were there only 5 shrimp in the tank? I'm going to attempt mine tomorrow afternoon I think or maybe Thursday. I just filled my 5 gal today and going to let the water get to the right temp. Then when I move the shrimp I'm going to move the filter as well that way it will be all cycled
Yes just the 5, in a 10 gal. If you use a net just try to keep your hand or another net over it becuase they try to jump out..

I'm looking to go the other direction... From a 2.5 to a 20. Too small for nets, but I'm going to try that water bottle trick. Thanks

I tried this which is a large teapot sized tea "ball" with three strings of fishing line tied into a know on top. Then just lifted it out.

I am better at just catching them with a small net, so that is how I catch the shrimp. I was trying this because the opening on an Edge tank plus being full of rocks and plants makes it a real challenge to get them out without destroying everything! lol

60074-albums9764-picture57414.jpg

60074-albums9764-picture59829.jpg

I tried the bottle cut in half with the top reversed into bottom half...I did it to catch some shrimp in my fluval edge...and it worked great

After hours of transferring I have a majority of the shrimp moved. What I have left are the tiny little babies, how do I move them? Would a turkey Baster work? How would you get the rest?

I use a white bucket. Put in a cup full of water at a time gently swirl the bucket in a circle. The tiny babies dart around out of the debris swirling in the circular motion, making them pretty easy to see.

Atm I forgot the size of your tank. If it is pretty big or you still have a lot of water in there, let it rest for a little bit until it settles, the scoop out water a gallon at a time with out disrupting the bottom as much as possible and you can get the water down a lot that way.

Still put the water into the bucket, but without gunk floating around it is generally easy enough to see them swimming and you can dump the water much more quickly.

They babies hide in the substrate too, even sand, so I use the same technique with the swirling as well, then I leave a bucket with all the sand in and an air bubbler over night or a day or two if you are exhausted and still find more microscopic babies in there later.

DO NOT FEED THEM. (I also add appropriate amount of Prime each day to the bucket to make sure to keep any craziness from the water quality since you just stirred up so much tank stuff)

No food! You can foul the water and kill them, not even a little bit, they won't starve. Painful personal experience. :banghead: I lost about 40-50 shrimp by trying to be nice to them and feed them, just a tiny amount.

An alternate method is best with someone to help hold the net and then just pour everything through the net and put all the gunk and everything into a bucket with half treated new water and half tank water. Rinsing (with new treated water) rocks or sand, same thing, rinse through net to catch everything. I mean the fine net not the ones with tiny holes the shrimplets can fit through.

Hope I was clear enough, if you need any clarification or if I might of left out something let me know!

Get the water scooped out down to a lower level, catch all babies then just keep scooping out the water one cup at a time. I also use a 32 oz fast food plastic cup, white to help see for babies. Same technique swirl watch for movement. Sometimes you have little worms or seed shrimp in there too.

When you figure they cost $1. or more where ever you buy them from, everyone you save is like saving money!!!

How do I remove the little worms in the tank as well? The last post mentioned it and it's bugging me now

I just finished moving all my shrimp the last 20 were little tiny babies. But after all the transferring I think I have all the shrimp. This is what it looks like now.

image-609620854.jpg

Idk if I'm going to upgrade the light. It's just a 5 gal shrimp tank with Java moss in it and a few rocks to sort of hide the filter.

I just finished moving all my shrimp the last 20 were little tiny babies. But after all the transferring I think I have all the shrimp. This is what it looks like now.

View attachment 214964

Idk if I'm going to upgrade the light. It's just a 5 gal shrimp tank with Java moss in it and a few rocks to sort of hide the filter.

Nice. It is a lot of work trying to make sure to get all the little guys out! (y)

So it's been about a week since I moved the shrimp and the water was exactly the same but many of my shrimp have died. I added some prime just incase it was ammonia or some impurity and also added some stress zyme (very little) to try to distress the shrimp. Does anyone have any problems similar to this? Also all sizes are dying not even the little guys, it seems to have calmed down for now but I'm going to have to buy more shrimp I'm the future.

So it's been about a week since I moved the shrimp and the water was exactly the same but many of my shrimp have died. I added some prime just incase it was ammonia or some impurity and also added some stress zyme (very little) to try to distress the shrimp. Does anyone have any problems similar to this? Also all sizes are dying not even the little guys, it seems to have calmed down for now but I'm going to have to buy more shrimp I'm the future.
Are you sure they are not just molting? Not trying to offend..

Back
Top Bottom